Oh I replaced the Rochester with the Carter W-1 and guess what Jon, you were correct in saying, “Much as I would like to blame the Rochester B for everything from global warming to the national debt ☺ ☺, I really don't think the B is at fault here.” Yep the problem was still there.
OK Jerry, this one is for you and that distributor machine of yours. The Vacuum Advance, advances. Just how far, I can’t tell exactly, but it looks like all the way, drops off at full throttle. On the bench it stars at around 6 or 8 inches will max out at around 16 or 18 which looks to be about 10deg but it will only stay up there if I keep pumping fast, she bleeds off in about 3 or 4 seconds when I quit pumping. That taint right, is it? Shouldn’t it hold 18 inches pf vacuum till I let it up? I do believe I looking at a bad Vacuum diaphragm. I have another one on another distributor but it leaks so bad I can't even get it to hold past 5 inches and it won't even move the plunger.
When you think about it, it’s the only thing that is related to the throttle position especially at low power settings and becomes less of a factor as you load the engine or use higher throttle settings.
This would account for the fact that I could run it home at high throttle settings yet had troubles below1600 or 1800 rpm.
Well I got a new advance coming but won’t get it till next week. Looks like it’s gonna be a slow weekend, that’s alright, it’s supposed to rain all weekend any way.
So what do ya think Jarry???
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL
Last edited by Denny Graham; 08/21/2008 8:48 PM.