Hey guys enough with the clogged fuel thing, I'm getting fuel, I can run at 60mph as long as the throttle is wide open, clogged fuel lines won't let you do that! There are two filters, before the carb, the screen in the fuel pump and the AC inline glass bowl paper filter, both run clean, it's not starving for fuel!

And Paul, I wasn’t going to bring this up before cuz I didn’t want to start an argument and veer to far off course, but from my experience as a pilot I would have to disagree with your understanding of carburetor icing. Not that I was having a problem with carburetor icing in this case, it was just a thought that raced across the old brain. But a quick search yields a quote from Lycoming which explains it much better than I could and should make it a little more clear to you, why that thought crossed my mind:

“Your carburetor can get pretty cold. The heat loss from evaporation of gasoline at the stoichiometric ratio creates a theoretical temperature drop of 40 degrees F. The adiabatic expansion of gas across the carburetor's venturi also lowers the temperature. Thus, you could drop the carburetor temperature to freezing and form carburetor ice at an ambient temperature of 72 degrees or higher. Stoichiometric is the leanest possible mixture.
At richer mixtures the ambient temperature at which carburetor ice forms is even higher - Lycoming publishes a temperature range of twenty to 90 degrees F. for carburetor ice.
Adding alcohol to gasoline dramatically increases the ambient temperature where ice forms. Evaporating methyl alcohol creates a temperature drop of 300 degrees F. As a result, carburetor ice occurs over a wide range of temperatures.”

And since I don’t have the bench testing equipment at my disposal, I’m going to be at rest for the next few days till I get a new vacuum advance, coil and condenser and can change a few parts out. And not that I'm ignoring your contribution Red Ryder, but, lots of buts here, from my years as a Chevy Parts man in several Chevy dealerships, that’s about the way your mechanic would approach the problem, even today. Passed out lots of parts that ended up back on the shelf before the job went out the door. Just like a medical diagnosis, not every problem is clear cut.

Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Last edited by Denny Graham; 08/22/2008 2:32 PM.

Denny G
Sandwich, IL