You lose! New coil installed this afternoon and I took her out for a ten-mile run and I still have the hesitation or flat spot when I accelerate. It hasn’t done its little backfiring thing the last few times out, but still has that darn flat spot when you push down on the accelerator.
Still got the vacuum advance to replace, the fuel flex line and check out the fuel shutoff petcock. After that every thing in the fuel system and ignition will have been replaced.
I made some measurements with both of the coils on the bench and thought I’d found the bad guy. The old coil was a Delco 1115380, which is an original Chevy part number, very well might be the original coil. The primary measured 1.2 ohms and the secondary measured 5.24k ohms. The replacement I got today was from Classic Parts (Chevy Duty) and its primary also measured 1.2 ohms but the secondary was 8.86k. Not having a new Delco or even another used one to compare it to I didn’t know if it might be shorted and should read higher or if this was normal a normal resistance for the secondary. It is the only one they had listed in the catalog but I noticed in Chevs of the 40’s that this coil is listed as a 6v/12v replacement, which would account for the higher resistance of the secondary. They also have a 6v coil listed from Pertronix that I think would be better matched to the 6v trucks.
As far as this replacement coil goes I have a whole lot to say about that but I’ll vent that in another thread another time.
But after all is said and done, it twernt the coil.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL
Last edited by Denny Graham; 08/27/2008 3:28 AM.