I had a 235 in my 52 with the mallory electronic ignition.. the thing went on a blink and almost drove me crazy because it would not do it all at once but got worse...........it would just die, spit and sputter and then pick back up.........

on the hiway at 65 it would stop running and sometime pick back up after a back fire... I replaced the electronic module in it and never had anymore problem.........I doubt that you have one but a lot of back fire can be caused by electrical rather then fuel..

crack dist for one can cause it.............
also a bad lobe on a cam can do a similar thing..
had this to happen on a dodge with a 383.. thing would be on the hiway, start to sputter and back fire..

I never could find it, my dad in law said Fred, it is in the cam....I would think that would be unusual but..

another deal is that you might have hair line crack in a spark plug that you cant see..not likely but I have seen this too.....

crazy stuff can happen, I installed a tach on a 55, never could finger out why when I took off that it would skip and jump, had a stick..dad-in-law came over and found that when I installed the tack, I had some of the extra wire wrapped around the clutch pedal cause it to short out when I went to change gears.

at anyrate, I know you will be glad when you find it..



Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.