I removed the fuel pump and side cover and lifters/pushrods and flushed the engine down with gallons of diesel after finding some metal around the head area from bent push rods.

You could flush the head first and then work your way down just in case anything made its way up to the head. Probably didnt. I also loosened the oil line under the side cover and blew all that out.

With the lifters and distributor and fuel pump out you will be able to flush the whole cam.

Then reassemble, fill up with oil and start the engine and run it for just a couple of minutes checking for oil pressure. Shut it down and change the oil and filter again. Run the oil through a strainer and look for metal.

I have done this on several engines and eventually the metal works its way out. Only do it if you really don't want to disassemble again. I bet the current bearing scratches are minor. The tolerances are so tight that only very small metal could make it in there. You shut down after a few minutes so shallow scratches would just wear back out.


54 3100 with 235
62 flatbed dump C60 with 261