By now the regulars here are familiar with my '54 Chevy. I fixed the heater this weekend, so I figured I'd drive it to the superbowl party last night.
Well, I drive the 10 miles to my buddy Gary's house to pick him up. Watch the gauges the whole way, everything's fine. Right when I turn the key off I noticed that the oil pressure gauge was already on "zero". Naww, I thought, Im hallucinating.
Gary comes out, I start the car. Oil pressure comes back up to 35 PSI. So we hit the interstate and go north on 55 about 15 miles. Gauges are fine, car runs great. I take the exit, and as I come to a stop at the end of the off-ramp, the oil pressure zeros out again. So I immediately shut her down, wait a minute and crank her back up. No oil pressure. So I quickly limp off the road and coast into parking lot & shut down. Check oil, check for leaks, check for loose parts or lines, everything looks good. We wait a few minutes & try again. Car runs for about 8 seconds and doesn't build pressure, so I shut her down. Gauge in dash and backup gauge under hood both say "zero". Motor is making no wierd noises, starts right up and runs smooth, but no oil pressure.

What the hell is this? I think either the distributor shaft sheared (mini HEI), or the new Melling oil pump failed. This motor has 125 miles on a complete rebuild.

Is this engine ruined? I'm soooo not happy. :o


Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:

Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes