Truck Tuesday
a day late
The truck had rear shocks put on. Napa had given me the wrong ones so returned them and ordered from Rock Auto.
Installed a vacuum tank to run both wipers and steering column vacuum fan.
Then the big chore: removed radio and then the speaker grill. Then the wiper motor, then the speedometer.
Installed new speedometer and rebuilt wiper motor. Had trouble getting the wiper transmission arms onto the motor. The short one needed some bending. Have not installed the wiper arms yet, left them at home. I never know what exactly what we are going to work on.
Put on a right visor. Then changed bulb in dome light and it works now. Started to look at brake lights, factory left one and both L/R added 4'' pedestal mount all had 12V bulbs.
Going to install all new lights and correct bulbs next week and rebuilt radio. Sometimes I say we did this and that. My mechanic friend was contorted on the floor board working under the dash. I was helping as much as I could and getting / handing him what he needed. I feel like a surgeon's assistant, screwdriver, wrench, flashlight and I handed it to him.
So close to taking it home and cleaning it up underneath really well. Paint will come much later on.
Note that the new speedometer had the bright light indicator at top of gauge, the original was at the bottom. I like the top better, easier to see. The old odometer did not work and I had bought a gauge set years ago.
Going to get insurance next week and get my 1950 Texas Truck plates approved. I have called and the number is not used.Five year sticker with no inspection needed.
The high temperature on Tuesday was 73 degrees. So nice to work on the truck and never broke a sweat. I hope summer is gone in Abilene TX, it was a brutal one, 2nd hottest ever.
I still don't have my computer back. Hopefully some pictures soon.
Last edited by Peggy M; 10/19/2023 6:48 PM.