1950 Chevy 3100
Truck Tuesdays
"Bringing 'OId Blue' Back to Life"

A little re-cap from my Welcome Center post. wink

I have a 1950 Chevy 3100. I bought it in 1981 for $1850 from a used car dealer. I traded in a '52 Plymouth Cranbrook as partial payment. (Got $300 credit.) He called the car a sleeper -- it would sit on the lot and sleep for a long time.

My fire wall has the name Cliff Durr 6-8-50 scratched on it. I assume it was the original buyer. Thought that was really neat.

I drove it till 1992 and then parked it in a barn. Now it's in my neighbors shop to get running again. He is helping me, or I am helping him. He is the mechanic. wink

Drums were pulled and taken in for turning. New wheel cylinders, shoes, hoses and hardware are here. Front wheel bearings cleaned and greased. Need to flush the lines and see if the master cylinder can be rebuilt. Radiator was dry and have not added water yet. I did buy a nice original for the possibility of it being bad. Want to keep the hand crank possibility.

Then the engine. I plan to keep the 216 and the truck original. Rebuilt carb from forum member and new fuel pump.

Going to leave the patina. Just make it a sound driver again.

Reupholstered the seat. It was sweat stained and had a small tear from screwdriver in back pocket. I had never been under the seat before I took it out. Underneath were the jack, handle, hand crank, 2 lug wrenches, unused can of Texaco 30 wt oil, a new now old water pump, and 1 dried out mouse.

I am going to put a new gas tank in. It did have some gas left in it that drained out slowly after removing the shutoff valve underneath. The smell of that old gas would scare a skunk.

Work stopped for a bit. It was so hot here in Abilene. Just finished up a week of 100 degree temps, two days at 108* and one at !07*. I am a firefighter and have been busy lately with grass and structure fires, plus some shifts of overtime. I don't like the summer or the heat. Think I would be used to it with my 31 years on the fire department, but I am not.

Driving this truck ... well, times sure are different now. Don't think I can drive the interstate now with speed limit at 75. It does bring back memories from when I was younger.

William Moore
Abilene TX

Last edited by Peggy M; 03/11/2024 3:10 PM. Reason: a new DITY Gallery story!

~ William Moore
1950 Chevy 3100
Truck Tuesday Reports
"Bringing 'OId Blue' Back to Life"
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery