I think you're probably right on the assembly jig. I can't think of another reason why the reference line would be below the body other than to eliminate negative numbers.

I just used the floor as a reference and did a little math to figure elevations of other points (or used other points to correctly position the new floor I put in.) But your wood frame would do the same thing, and eliminate the need to subtract any dimensions.

I did clamp a piece of angle on the front of the dash to use as a reference for the front cab support locations horizontally.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.