Hi Folks, Finally got my 47 GMC home. Woohoo. Now the work/fun begins in earnest. I'm puttin in a stock 350 currently sitting on a stand ready to go, and a freshly scored T5 out of a 92 S-10. I've read everything I could find, especially from Lugnutz, and that seems to be the combo. Since I'm starting from scratch, I have options on the best way to go from here. Kinda feels like having a kid. You know exactly what you're gonna do until it gets home, then all bets are off. Basically I have no idea from here. I don't have a clutch/bellhousing etc. I really want to keep the stock pedals! I'm also not planning on changing the suspension or steering geometry, but am open to ideas.
So here's my questions: Should I go with a mechanical or hydraulic clutch? I have no components for either besides the pedal and what holds it to the frame. Does someone make a kit for a hydraulic clutch for the AD trucks? What is this "adapter plate" that I've read about? I really dread the idea of changing the input shaft of the trans. I pretty much know I'll drop transmission parts all over the floor and accidentally kick them to parts unknown. Is there a range of bellhousings I can use with said adapter plate? (I need to get all these things and a 14 spline clutch assembly) My first plan was actually to go thru the entire brake system replacing all the lines etc. and adding in a dual master cylinder in stock location. Can I go ahead with this or will I run into fitment problems that force me to "hang" pedals? What myriad of other things have I not yet considered?