Originally Posted by moparguy
Sadly he was a Ford guy. I started this thread hoping for similar stories from the Stovebolt crowd. At this point I'm hollering Uncle since it looks like it didn't happen with our babbitt babies.

RonR

All the auto's, Ford, Chevy, dodge, Desoto,Studebaker,Pontiac, etc had the same junk yard rate in those days. There was no magic long lasting brand. Babbitt is soft, but can last very long if cared for. There are stories from different people of that one guy who managed to eke out high mileage from their vehicle. But on average, mechanically they were on par with each other. Using the same oil and about the same maintenance practices. I know a couple old guys that had their vehicles last 40 years without an overhaul, and they still looked like new when they died. They changed oil when it looked the least bit discolored. Wiped every spot off the tires, never took them out of the garage/ barn unless it was nice out side. Most people were living hand to mouth back then and a auto/truck was needed to eat. They drove them, and cared for them when they could. Ran bulk oil out of the quart jar at the local filling station, and wore them out rather quickly. They were cheap (relatively) to buy and served a purpose. Most Every old car and truck you see on the road today, was at least pretty well cared for and lasted well. The 53 I have has never been overhauled that I'm aware of, it has 50000 miles +. The spare 216 I have, I just went through this summer and its been overhauled twice. The way to high mileage is to baby it, change oil even if it doesn't need it, and keep it clean. Give me any make car or truck, and I can make it last longer than I can live.

Last edited by LeeP; 01/19/2018 3:19 PM.

1961 ford f500
1953 3100 five window (https://www.facebook.com/1953-Chevrolet-5-window-1533405913413610/)
1955-2 3200 big window (https://www.facebook.com/Leep3200/)
55yrs as a mechanic and retired. (kind of)