Yeah, for me it was an economy issue. I had no need for old school equipment when newer and smoother, better equipment is available. Jerry was around when Ben Franklin was using Kites to weld with.
Although we admire these guys who used sticks and knives and rudimentary powders to win the revolutionary war, and owe them our very lives, we live in 2015 now. If you use OAW to weld a floor panel, or ANYTHING related to auto restoration, you are either very very poor, in which case I apologize to you if you feel I am being unfair, or very very very very OLD and forgot that if our society doesnt advance, we have a bigger problem than what we weld with.
Just being OBTUSE Jerry. As you would expect. If you are learning to weld in the 21st Century, get a good MIG with gas, and learn how to use it well. If that bothers your friends that you took this shameful shortcut, just tell them, what I always tell Jerry.
It IS April Fools. Hats off to Jerry for all the great advice he gives freely on a regular basis. Being as old as Christ, I worry because what the hell are we gonna do without him? Put a good word in for me when you get there Jerry. Maybe by then, THEY will have color TV.