The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (Steelonsteel, GRNHydra, WICruiser, 51sub, Wally / Montana, 55shaker, Peggy M, Hotrod Lincoln, 1 invisible), 123 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,141
Posts1,056,471
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
Silly me did not notice this till now. I have a quarter size hole just a couple inches above the vent on the passenger side. What was this used for?

Antenna? It would be side mounted just one hole

1953 chevy 3100

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
No telling what a previous owner did. The proper place for an antenna on my 52, and I figure your 53 is up on "top" of the cowl. Maybe they used one of those swivel antenna bases for side mounting?


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,596
It's most likely a hole for the antenna.


1946 GMC Pickup - S-10 Frame, 455 Buick, TH400, original patina.

My 46 GMC on Photobucket
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 101
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 101
Yes, I have the same hole in the same place. The antenna was not installed, but I can send you a picture of the antenna if you need it.

Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
yes please send pic -

thinking it may be like a beetle anttena
ebay beetle Antenna

Last edited by BSCowboy; 06/07/2013 2:38 PM.
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 101
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 101
Here is what I have. It was not installed when I got the truck so I don't know if it original or not.
Antenna 1
antenna2

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
Here is a photo of a NOS radio with antenna. The original mounts up on the drivers side cowl in a very precise location for hood clearance.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/8129324957/in/set-72157631868452754
There is significant discussion on this topic if you search in the Radio Forum.

Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 101
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 101
Well Brad, I guess that answers my question if it is original or not. In case it helps, here is the position of the hole on my 58.
Hole for antenna

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
Ted, Brads AD is very different than the TF radio/antenna - the antenna you have is common aftermarket - yours should be mounted in the fender directly below where the hole you show is .... see here

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
Ted sorry I did not catch the year more closely.

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 684
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 684
The mirror mounts in about that location, but there should be 2 holes
Cleon
OOPS! I thought I read 1/4 inch hole. I see now it is a quarter size hole.

Last edited by 31,32,33; 06/11/2013 3:31 PM.

Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the nearer the end the faster it goes.




1949 Chevy 6400
1931 Chevy Firetruck



Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 101
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 101
Sorry for the confusion Brad. After seeing your material Bill, and Brad's picture, I can see mine is incomplete aftermarket junk. I will patch that hole before I paint.


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0