The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 117 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#842761 04/10/2012 4:22 AM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
How many miles do disc brake pads typically last on a vehicle? Figure heavy driving in town, with lots of stop and go.

I'm curious because one of my trucks with over 200K miles now, has had 4 sets (needing a 5th soon) of front pads while the rears are still in spec. I know the front brakes are worked harder, but it seems a little excessive. Then again, LOTS of city driving.

Thanks, Jeff


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,107
jeff, your not riding around with your foot on the brake are you grin are you using the better pads that are available or the cheapest? as to your question, i dont know

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,215
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,215
Our 1 ton school buses get about 35,000 per front pad set, I doubt you stop and start as much as they do !

I would think yours are doing about right. Cheaper pads are softer which feel better, stop quicker, wear faster, but save the rotors. Buying a good quality hard pad will get you more miles per pad, but the rotors will wear faster and it takes more effort to stop.

So keep doing what you are doing.

Joe

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
Originally Posted by 51 ashton
jeff, your not riding around with your foot on the brake are you

Oh, that's what that pedals for... Stupid me. dang

Originally Posted by Joe H
Our 1 ton school buses get about 35,000 per front pad set, I doubt you stop and start as much as they do !

I do when I'm following around all those darn busses! :mad:

That does make me feel a little better. I went through one set at about 25K miles, but the others seem to last somewhere between 35-50K. I don't go for the cheap pads, but I also don't buy those premium gold plated ones you jerks with money have! grin

Thanks, Jeff


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
239,000 (Lot of road miles) on my Silverado and its on its 3rd set of pads and probably need the 4th real soon. I paid about $75 in the beginning for a good set of NAPA and have not had to pay for a set since.......there's benefits to keeping your truck and your receipts smile

Your doing OK.

Last edited by Achipmunk; 04/11/2012 3:55 AM.

1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0