The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (TUTS 59, Shof, Ponchogl, Jon G), 172 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,157
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#837364 03/21/2012 8:41 PM
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 166
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 166
My buddy said to use the same exhaust manifolds on my rebuilt 454 engine or I,ll have major problems. I prefer to buy new ones for it. After all the old ones are 33 yrs old. Any thoughts ? Thanx. Cheers ! smile

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
what "major problems"? especially if it's freshly rebuilt .... I went with ceramic coated block hugger headers on mine to route the exhaust the way that works best and keep things cooler in the engine compartment

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 166
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 166
He said they wouldn,t bolt up properly and his buddy had to search every junkyard to get others. I call bull*&% on his part, but he swore up and down this happened. I don,t see how.

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
he probably got some oddball car manifolds or even ones from a small block, big blocks aren't real common in the yards ... big block manifolds/headers fit big blocks, how they suit the particular vehicle is what counts ... there are variations in where they dump, some factory manifolds might interfere with fittings around the oil filter that varied among different vehicle models [like for oil coolers] or dump in the wrong place for a particular transmission, especially automatics, or bump a particular year/type of motor mount ... the headers fit any block and the huggers clear the mounts and are short enough you can route the head pipe any way you need to

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
Exactly what Bill said.

The only difference I've ever noticed with old manifolds is that over time the block and manifold can warp a little with heat causing an exhaust leak. Lay a straight edge along the manifold connection on the block and if there's a gap, you might have a leak with a new manifold, or it could be planed down to flush again.

I had this happen on an old 390 and went with very thick copper exhaust gaskets to fix the problem since it wasn't worth the time an involvement in fixing it in other ways.

Jeff


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Getting "454" headers "used" can be a problem. My friend is putting a hot 454 in his 53 sedan and after looking at 4 sets every set had at least one place with a crack in it. I ended up using my discount and got a eet of new ones for $154 and he is now a happy man!
Just FYI every time he found a set used the price was $75 to $125. One guy had two sets with a crack in one, but would only sell all four as a deal....3 good used headers for $125. Not much of a deal from where we were looking!


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0