The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Justhorsenround, Otto Skorzeny, Hotrod Lincoln), 107 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,485
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#823986 02/08/2012 3:51 AM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
I just purchased one of these (NOS) for my truck and was wondering if anyone had any details about the years they were available. Mine came without a key but I have a picture of what they look like any details on that would be appreciated as well.
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2841792030102454676mqBoBd
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2557261450102454676aXYCpf
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2644408380102454676RUffwT
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2540593630102454676SciNpa


Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Never seen one Brad. Thanks for sharing. Wonder if it mounted under the dash and you just zero'ed it after each oil change??


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
It says that is where it mounts I think you turn the key to the next mileage increment.

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
I think you dialed the mileage of your next scheduled oil change into it as a reminder. Otherwise it would have to be tied into the odometer some how. Easy to understand why we haven't ever seen one before. I can just hear and old farmer saying "What the heck would I need with that?"


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

I like that one, Brad

I see when you won it and I now have a Saved Search waiting for one.

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,262
That's a new one on me too. Very cool. thumbs_up

Pre-dates "Post-It Notes" by a few decades.


In the Stovebolt Gallery ~~ "The Orange Crate" 1965 C10 SWB Step Side Build Thread

Inspired to be different. Different in a way of my own, not in a way that others strive.
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
I've never seen one with Chevrolet written on it. We sold some cheap ones that clipped to the sun visor at our gas stations. You were supposed to roll the thousand digit one number when you serviced the vehicle. They were advertised to eliminate the "unsightly" stickers in the door jamb.

Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
Wow, and I thought I was going to be fancy with a square of frosted glass above the milage, and a pencil! What a neato-gizmo!


Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 583
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 583
Hey, I've got one of those that's NOS also. It mounts to bottom lip of the dash. Mine was missing the key also. I made one from an old clock windup key. Notched it to fit over the tit on the shaft. There aren't too many of them out there anymore. The last NOS one I saw sold for $350. I believe they were used in the 30's to 40's. They look great inside trucks.


1939 Chevrolet Stake Truck
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
How bout some pix of your's Rick??
Is it the same as the one in Allen's photos??

DG


Denny G
Sandwich, IL
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

I'd like to see one installed (since I just bought one - thanks, Brad, for the eBay hint).

Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 583
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 583
Mine is identical to the one in Allen's photos. I believe my brother-in-law may have a few extra that are used. He's been heavy into 1939 Chevy accessories for years. He's supplied me with virtually every accessory that I have on my 39 Truck. Overflow tank, right hand windshield wiper, windshield washer, heater cutoff, heater, foglights, 6 bladed engine fan, city/country horns and switch plate, flashlight and holder for steering column and probably others that I've forgotten. He owns a 1939 Chevrolet Master Deluxe Woodie Station Wagon and pulls a Mullins trailer with it. Both of them stock.


1939 Chevrolet Stake Truck
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
Uhhh, Rick, are your fog lights the ones with the super-cool lens?

Can we see a picture of the Master Woodie and trailer?


Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 583
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 583
My fog lights are the 1939 Chevy Genuine Accessory. They have that super-cool lens. I could not bring myself to drill holes in my fenders for turning signals, so I use the fog lights as turning signals. That was another 39 accessory my brother-in-law gave me was the 1939 turn signals mechanism for the steering column. I'll try to get some pictures loaded today or tomorrow showing the lights and the woodie.


1939 Chevrolet Stake Truck
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 337
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 337
That’s very cool as a collectible, although I’ve never seen one before either. My parents had the plastic clip on visor type. They were very common in parts stores, something you might find on a card next to the cash register.

[IMG]http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/875/oilchangereminder01.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by cletis; 02/09/2012 5:34 PM. Reason: removed ebay reference

1960 GMC 1/2-Ton Pickup Truck
In the Gallery
Updates in the DITY Gallery
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
Hey! I filter my oil the Frantz way!


Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 583
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 583
I've been checking around about the keys for the Oil Reminders.
Apparently no keys were provided with them. When you went to the dealership to have your oil changed, they would set it to the next oil change interval.


1939 Chevrolet Stake Truck
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,671
Now that was sneaky, wasn't it!

DG


Denny G
Sandwich, IL

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0