Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
9 members (FAST55, Shaffer's1950, John Dlugos, Ponchogl, F100Ranger, Otto Skorzeny, Gdads51, TexasJim50, 1 invisible),
73
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,131 Posts1,056,372 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 311 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 311 | After two days of bleeding my 48 Loadmaster using the traditional way, and with a Mityvac one man brake bleeder. I installed speed bleeders and I am thrilled at the results! I highly suggest this product! BTW I learned about it from this forum. Thanks | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | ...yep, got 4 of them on my panel. I was skeptical but I must say they work nice...even though they are a bit pricey. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,388 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 1,388 | What's a speed bleeder? I usually use the clear hose into a jar method, where you crack the bleeder, and pump the brake pedal.
Could my life be easier? Are these something Ron Popeil could sell me? | | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 | A speed bleeder is a bleeder screw with a ball valve inside. Crack them open, pump the brakes and close them. No air gets back into the system through the ball valve making bleeding brakes quite simple.
Jeff | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 695 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 695 | A check valve is a novel idea!  I just Googled and looked at them on JEGS website. They were 10 bucks for a package of 2. I don't know if cheaper anywhere else, but compared to bleeding brakes the way I've always had to do it... I'd spring for $20! Thanks for bringing this up, Curt! Jerry | | | | | Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 311 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 311 | Here is more info Christopher http://www.speedbleeder.com/ I picked mine up at NAPA for about $13.00 a pair, pricey until you successfully bleed all your brakes twice in less then 30 minutes by yourself! | | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 324 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 324 | http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-...ck-speedbleeder-and-factory-caliper.htmlThis looks like if it isn't replaced properly it could lead to a very unsafe condition! After reading this article and before purchasing Speedbleeder, I will make sure my stock bleeder and the new Speedbleeder is compatible in, thread pitch,size, outside measure etc Keeping in mind that my old pickup would never go through as much hard use as in a race track situation, this is a very good Idea, but I think just to be on the safe side,it deserves to be further researched. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Simple task vick, unscrew the old ones and screw in the new ones, that's it!!! It's just a normal bleeder screw with a ball check installed. No danger there unless you don’t know which end of the wrench to use. I live a couple of miles from where they are made so I ran out there and bought a set for my '50, 3600 about five or six years ago. I took a tour of the factory. It was a 3 or 4 man operation back then, just a couple that live on a farm out in the boonies SW of Newark, IL. In one of the barns out back there was an operator feeding a bunch of old Brown and Sharp cam operated screw machines pumping out parts. The guy wasn’t there but I talked with his wife who handles the office, that is bookwork, orders, s&r etc. Of course they’ve probably been bought up by one of the big groups by now. Here’s a set installed on Bluebelle: http://www.pbase.com/dennygraham/image/140334438/large There are only a couple of things to watch out for. One is bubbles in the mason jar. It’s kind of hard to watch for bubbles when your in the cab so In my case I sat my “big old wife” down on the milkin’ stool and had her holler 'soo-ee' when the fluid ran clear in the Tygon tubing. The other is the fluid level in the stock master cylinder. It don’t hold all that much and a few pumps and you have to top it off else your just pumping more air into the system. Other than snugging up the bleeders that’s all there is to it DG
Last edited by Denny Graham; 12/15/2011 12:15 AM.
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 863 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 863 | I can see a problem with brake calipers...most have a right angle cross port to the Bleeder screw well and the Point can bottom out causing a sealing issue....not a foreseeable problem on wheel cylinders..... | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Has anyone had a problem with any brand of speed-bleeder on our old trucks' drum brake systems?
I have had no problem on my 54 1/2 Chevrolet truck and no problem on my 54/55 2-ton GMC COE flatbed truck. I use the less expensive Russell Speed Bleeder (639590, I think) rather than The Speed Bleeder.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 | Tim,
The only problems I have ever had with speed bleeders has been working on an old system that has been polluted with dirt or rust. The particles clog the ball valve and very little fluid comes out. This is why a good flushing can be worth while.
In response to your question, I've used three different brands with no problems except what I've listed above.
Jeff | | | | | Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 170 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 170 | I also heard about them on this forum a while back - so thanks much! One note, when ordering on their web site you need to know the thread size ahead of time, they didn't have a listing for my 46. They work great. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 324 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 324 | Thanks Denny & everyone else for sharing info on these. Good to hear the opinion of people who are actually using them. I am going to our local Napa Store to pickup a set of these. I have some ordinary bleeders to compare with for size & thread comparison. Very ingenious invention! The vacuum booster helps the brakes reach very high pressures, & produces maximum braking force on all four wheels. The pedal,can produce 1,200 to 2,000 psi of pressure in the hydraulic brake system. I've been doing a complete frame off on my 51 Pickup for 6 years now and getting anxious to hit the road next summer. Safety first has always been no 1 with me. Love the Stovebolt Site | | |
| |