The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (5 Window 9434, Jon G, John Dlugos, jmoore, moparguy), 96 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,120
Posts1,056,325
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
There is a lot of talk about heaters lately. I didn't want to intrude on somebody elses thread with this question so here it is.

American Classic sells defroster ducts in original looking cloth or in plastic. For functionality, which would be better, longer lasting, and easier to install? The price is not that much different so I want to get the best of the two.


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Vern - when you say "cloth" I must assume you are speaking of the wire bound type, correct? I think that is what I have on mine but never thought of them as cloth. I'd fear the plastic ones might get too hot and sag/stretch, etc. In any event mine seem to be OK but maybe the plastic is much heavier and better than I envision.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
I think that is a yes on the wire-bound, part no. ME284 1947-53 Heater duct tubing, 1-3/4 inch diameter, cloth, $18.00 Each
The plastic alternative is part no. ME284P 1947-53 Heater duct tubing, 1-3/4 inch diameter, plastic $15.00 Each

Like I said the price doesn't make a hill of beans difference. Would like to see opinions of those who have bought either or both.

I do know that with age the original style deteriorates and you can't remove and replace it very often without tearing it. Of course by the time it gets to that point it will likely be someone else who may not even be born yet who has to deal with it.


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 428
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 428
FWIW, The cloth ducts were rotted away when I got my 52. I bought the plastic replacement ducts, and they are cheap and flimsy. As soon as I get the fresh air heater painted I will replace them with the cloth ones.

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
I got plastic generic duct through my FLAPS and it's served me well for 5 years now. The heater in my '38 doesn't get hot enough to cause any problems, I run a 160 deg thermostat.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
.... I have NOT used this but I have seen a couple others use the aluminum flex like goes under the hood of a car....like what fastens under the air filter housings. They look pretty neat, and I think you can get them in the correct size at the local discount store. I think the price of those is about the same as what's mentioned above....except no shipping.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
I just put the wire/cloth ones in and they work great. They fit everything snugly to the point where I felt no need for any kind of clamps. The only "problem" I had was with the original metal passenger side defroster duct, the way it was made the opening was too large so I had to split the duct and use cloth tape to hold it on.

So I guess this is a case of an original part not being made correctly rather than the aftermarket part.

Last edited by Czechman; 11/16/2010 12:17 PM.

Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
Thanks JimmiD, that's the kind of report I'm looking for. Did you get yours from ACTP or someone else?

Tiny, I have looked and asked at all the local flaps and can't seem to find anything in 1.75" that will work.

Alvin, that is what I'm using now on the passenger side. I can't find one long enough for the drivers side.

Woody, you have destroyed that one-of-a-kind, original piece grin

Sounds like I need to go ahead and order the original style cloth. If it was good enough 57 years ago it should be good enough today. I was hoping for something better in the plastic but it sounds like it will have issues too.


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Originally Posted by FriedGreenTmater
Tiny, I have looked and asked at all the local flaps and can't seem to find anything in 1.75" that will work.
If I recollect right they had to look in their book and order it in for me. It wasn't a stock item. I got it through Bumper To Bumper. I think I have a piece of it left over. How much do you need?

Last edited by Tiny; 11/16/2010 6:20 PM.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
Thanks Tiny. I need enough to do both defrosters in the 53. I think I will just order from ACTP. I need to find something else I need so I don't get hit with their minimum order of $20 policy. I meant to order it when I ordered the steering bearing but forgot.


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
Originally Posted by FriedGreenTmater
Woody, you have destroyed that one-of-a-kind, original piece grin

Man, I'm slipping here.

What I MEANT to say is that I split the cloth duct. Since the original metal ducts are some of the only parts on my truck that weren't rusted to dust I'm not going to be the one to ruin them.


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 194
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 194
Changed one last night, Auto Zone has a metal one that you can stretch and bend to fit about $20. Ain't origional, but works on my old 58 driver.


1954 Chevy Half-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Shutterfly
More pix on Photobucket

1958 Chevy 1/2-Ton Stepside
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

<> + <> + <> + <> + <>
"Time's fun when you're having flies." ~~ OLD FROG
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
Thanks Hank, I'll check that out.


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0