The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Millenimech, papas52), 145 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,266
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#69337 11/29/2006 4:46 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
In the late '60's I worked on a friends Toyota Land Cruiser and I would swear it had a Chevrolet 6 cylinder engine in it....or it looked like a Chevy 6. This was the stock engine, he had not changed anything...was I sniffing too much glue!


Stuart

#69338 11/29/2006 4:53 AM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Very similiar motors, but parts are not interchangable.

If I remember right Toyota bought the motor from Chevrolet and made some changes.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
#69339 11/29/2006 8:51 AM
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
Rumor has it much of the bottom end is interchangeable. The toyota version got a newly designed head. I'm not sure if that head interchanges with the 235 either.

Usually when the Japanese auto makers copy or take from the American auto makers they improve upon a good idea. That is not always the case.

Datsun coppied the british roadster concept in the 60s with the "Fair Lady". They copied the design so close to the Brittish design that it had the same electrical problems.

#69340 11/29/2006 6:34 PM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 769
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 769
The early LC head had a combustion chamber just like the 235. The later LC head was modernized. I am not sure when, probably when smog requirements came into effect. I had a 74 LC and it had the modern head.

#69341 11/29/2006 6:43 PM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 769
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 769
Something else I just thought of. In 1974 Toyota LC had a floor shift all syncro 4 speed trans. This trans looked like the older chevy truck 4sd. The mounting pattern was the same as a chevy. If I recall correctly the imput shaft is a little longer than a GM unit. I am not sure if this trans can be used without the transfer case, but it might be a consideration for someone who wanted an all syncro heavy duty trans. First gear is not as low as the GM first gear. With the 6 cyl I would always start in 1st gear. The LC had 4.10 diff. gears.

#69342 11/29/2006 7:03 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 345
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 345
Hey, wait a second swingdaddy, I have a Nissan 311, and there are no Lucas components = no electrical problems. My second gear is a bit scratchy though.

#69343 11/29/2006 10:32 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 257
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 257
It's funny this topic has finally come up. I sold my '78 Land Cruiser FJ40 to buy my '50 truck. I didn't realize how much they had in common until I started tearing into the truck.

The original LC engine was the F engine which was around 235 ci. In '75 they upgraded to the 2F which was 258 ci and ran that engine into the mid/late '80s. There was always a rumor around the LC community that Toyota had "stolen" the I-6 from Chevrolet. All I know is it's nearly impossible to kill a 2F on the trail.

I know the transmission in my '78 was an SM420, same as the transmission in my truck. The gears were 4.11:1 in the LC until '78. They changed to 3.73:1 in '79.

If you want more info or exact specs, look at www.ih8mud.com or www.sor.com


1950 Chevrolet 3100 "One Step Forward, Two Steps Back"
Webshot Photos

#69344 11/29/2006 10:44 PM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
WOW, It looks like I wasn't sniffing as much glue as I thought...great info on this engine.


Stuart

#69345 11/30/2006 12:18 AM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
Wow a metric stovebolt.


The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.
Grant from Roy, Washington
1956 6100 Chevy Dump Truck in the Gallery
1964 GMC Drump Truck in the Gallery
user
http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/56Taskforce/slideshow/
#69346 11/30/2006 1:34 AM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 257
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 257
That's it exactly. I had to make a stop at the store when I bought my truck because I didn't have any SAE wrenches. Everything in my toolbox is metric. The Cruiser even has timing gears, just like the truck.

And the word "J**P" is to Cruiserheads as "F@%D" is to Stovebolters. (It's those 4 letter words....)


1950 Chevrolet 3100 "One Step Forward, Two Steps Back"
Webshot Photos

#69347 11/30/2006 3:50 AM
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
tlorber

I was wondering if somebody was going to call Shannanagans on me!

#69348 11/30/2006 4:26 AM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
I gotta say I do like jeeps but th tail gate on my S-10 says, "Yup your right I just don't get the jeep thing".


The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.
Grant from Roy, Washington
1956 6100 Chevy Dump Truck in the Gallery
1964 GMC Drump Truck in the Gallery
user
http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/56Taskforce/slideshow/
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 446
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 446
The early Land Cruiser did have a copy of the 235 Chevy engine. Word has it that Chevy shared the spec info. with Toyota. I also hear that some of the parts are interchangable.

Just today I saw an old Land Rover. I talked to the owner and he said it was a 1964. He didn't know what engine it had so I looked at it. It looked just like the Chevy 250!! Ran well too.

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
Twenty five years ago or so as a young gun, I worked on one for a friends girlfriend. I id'd the engine as a chevrolet 250 and proceeded to fix and tune it up for her. Until now I had just assumed somebody swapped the Chevy engine into it. I must have done it right though, she never complained about the way it ran after that.


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 446
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 446
Hey 53monster, I like your truck. How's it coming along?

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
but
i have seen a 292 installed in a LAND ROVER

WHOLE different thing
the land CRUISER from Toyota is an EXCELLENT inline
but the old 4 banger found in old LAND ROVERS was junk


Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
Thanks Iron clad, It coming along, I managed to scrape it enough together to enter in a show this past weekend without a bed.


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 446
I
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
I Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 446
So apparently the Land Rover had an option of a 4 banger or a 6?

I know that the Land Rover I saw today had a 6 that looked just like the Chevy 250. Of course that dosn't mean it was stock though. (But I believe it was.)

Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 403
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 403
Back in the 70's there was a company in the Los Angeles a Called Chevyota in which they did conversions with the 283 cu. Chevy engine for more power. There are a few around here running 350 cu. Chevy's with big Gumbo Mudder type tires too.
62Blue
Don


62Blue
62Chevy in progress
You've never been lost until you've been lost at Mach3" Paul F Crichmore (Test Pilot)
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
The early Toyota L6 "F" engine, used 1955-74?, is not a copy of the Chevrolet 235 entirely, but a similar head and combustion chamber design but "scaled up" to the larger G.M.C. block dimensions but few interchangeable parts. Not "stolen", manufactured under license.
The later F updated the head design to parallel valves, and finally to 12 port.
No, the Toyota head doesn't fit either engine: too big for the 235, and the water, bolts, oil, etc. don't line up for the GMC.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0