The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (TUTS 59, 1 invisible), 89 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,402
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#69181 11/26/2006 6:25 AM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 26
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 26
I'm new to chevy engine rebuilding. I'm going to be building a 383 stroker for our 53 1-ton panel truck. I've built quite a few engines over the years but never a chevy small block. Anyone have any suggestions on what would be a good book(s) to buy for building the 383 stroker?

Thanks!

Brad

#69182 11/27/2006 2:02 AM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 9
5
Junior Member
Junior Member
5 Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 9
Haynes gives some pretty descriptive instructions.

#69183 11/27/2006 1:01 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 26
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 26
52friend, thanks for the reply. I'll check out the Haynes manuals at the local parts store.

Brad

#69184 11/27/2006 5:07 PM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 248
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 248
"How to Rebuild the Small-Block Chevrolet" by Atherton & Schreib. I got my copy off Amazon. Another good title is "John Lingenfelter on Modifying Small-Block Chevy Engines" also purchased off Amazon.


Daily Driver 63 C-10 LWB Fleetside
#69185 11/27/2006 7:21 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
I have read several of these books and found one by David Vizard that gives some real good details of building a smal block chevy on a budget. Here is the link to the book that I highly recommend if you plan on building any performance SBC.

http://www.amazon.com/Build-Perform.../105-0969225-4896454?ie=UTF8&s=books

#69186 11/28/2006 1:41 AM
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 159
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 159
bkahler,
I'm not aware of any books that describe a specific build for the 383 but I may be wrong.I'm in the process of bulding a 383 if I can be of any help.I can share what I'm building if you would like.


In the works 2006 GEN III 6.0 /4L80E/ 205 New process,A/C and power brakes .
#69187 11/28/2006 4:08 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
I don't think David Vizards book will disappoint you.

http://www.amazon.com/Build-Perform.../105-0969225-4896454?ie=UTF8&s=books

#69188 11/28/2006 9:40 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
The books that I would recommend are above. I do recommend using the loger 350 rod over the shorter 400 rod. You need to by special 383 pistons with a raised pin but well worth it.


The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.
Grant from Roy, Washington
1956 6100 Chevy Dump Truck in the Gallery
1964 GMC Drump Truck in the Gallery
user
http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/56Taskforce/slideshow/

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0