Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,108 Posts1,056,231 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 1,554 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 1,554 | I just looked at the engine stand I have and it says it's good for 1000 pounds, looks light to me, but I build hell for stout. Should it hold the 235 without problems. I'm going to try it with the head off first. Dave 1941 Chevy"First rebuild - complete!"Follow the story in the DITY1941 GMC resting peacefully 1946/1947 Chevy Street rod on s10 frame complete 1945 GMC panel truck in line for restoration 1941 Plymouth stock complete 1941 GMC COE in restoration processRead his Project Journal1941 Chevy Coe uncertain future resting now
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 2,393 | It should hold it easily. But, be careful on its balance,especially if it is a 3 point stand.
Drew
| | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | I wouldn't put a six on a three point stand. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Listen to Cletis. The 235 will be unstable on a 3-point/wheel stand ( if it is like the one on this page). The 2,000 lb stands on that page are the ones I prefer to use. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,803 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,803 | Be sure the stand is long enough to support the front of the engine. I've seen stands designed for small block V-8's tip over toward the front when the weight of a stovebolt engine is on them. If the bellhousing is installed, that makes the length of the assembly particularly hazardous. I extended a 4-point stand with an extra caster wheel on a piece of 2" pipe that reaches beyond the front of the engine on the stand I use for 216/235/261 buildup. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 637 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 637 | Hotrod you are right. I had my 3 point engine stand fall over with a GMC 248 on it, but it also fell over with a V-8,3 point stands are not good for any engine!!! | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 3,596 | I have heard that the length and weight of the "6" should never be supported by light duty or three-legged stands. I have heard of others who in moving them on uneven or cracked concrete have had them tip bad for the engine worse for your leg! | | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 | HERE'S the one I bought at Northern Tool and Supply. It was the only one I found that wasn't designed primarily for a SBC. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 461 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 461 | Weight should be fine......just rebuilt my 235 on a 3 point stand, gotta be careful with any engine on a stand. You should have no problem, move it slowly and carefully. If you are like me, it did not stay on the stand for more than a couple of weeks anyway. Don't buy a new one, mine was used and cost $20.00 put the $$ in your truck.
Hank | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,554 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,554 | Its not so much the weight,but the lenght of an inline six,compared to a smallblock V/8.I have an engine stand out in my shop,that has held many Chevy smallblocks,but I would be hesitant to bolt up a inline six to it.I would bolt it up and check things out very carefully before I disconnected the chainfalls. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,971 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,971 | | | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 | That's the same as mine, just a different color. Highly recommended. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 | Used a H-F 1K unit for mine and had no problems but dales937 is right about the length. I wouldn't want to try it with a longer GMC engine. You can see a picture of it with the engine on it in my Picturetrail below under the truck photos. Seeing is believing.
Last edited by 53moneypit; 10/17/2010 7:13 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 474 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 474 | I like the four point stands .Bumps in the garage are no problem had many inlines and big blocks with no problem ever on it .A drip pan fits on the stand very nice during engine tear down.
Last edited by webstershotrods; 10/21/2010 7:57 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 124 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 124 | i rebuilt mine on a 3 point that i borrowed. it was a bit precarious when i went to bolt on the bell housing so i used the borrowed engine hoist to keep it from tipping.
ideal no. did it work without hurting anyone/anything, yes. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 695 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 695 | That's also the one I bought. Took me forever to figure out how to bolt up the block to it though... my first time. I ended up bolting directly to the stand plate (removed from the stand), using the tubes of the four swivel arms as spacers. Then I hoisted up the block with the mounted plate and stabbed the plate support into the stand. I just couldn't find a combination to use the swivel arms! What am I missing with the use of that tool? It just didn't seem as universal as I would have imagined and I always seem to make simple things difficult. Jerry | | | | | Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 695 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2010 Posts: 695 | Thanks for the pic, Tim. Yep, the "wrong end" is how I managed mine... only I used all four that way. It did bolt up to the faceplate, but you had to hold your head and stick out your tongue a certain way to do it... ha. I'm thinking of modifying my faceplate a tad to fit this type engine... maybe make some 1/2" pipe spacers for it. After much time wrestling, it was easier to remove the faceplate from the stand and mount it to the block first. That might not be the correct method but it sure worked best for me. Jerry  | | | | | Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 215 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2010 Posts: 215 | Bolting it to the faceplate and then sliding it into the stand is the correct method, I've done it that way for years. On a side note, my stand faceplate attached fine once turned upwards so the long way was vertical instead of horizontal like you would use it on a V8 And as an added feature don't buy the 2000lb stand from Maxtool in California, unless you just want it for garage art with a plastic dummy block, because thats about all that pile of junk will hold up! | | |
| |