Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,134 Posts1,056,403 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#66925 10/08/2006 4:13 AM | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 83 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 83 | Looking for some experience here...I have a stuck engine, I have time to let it sit. When I say time I mean like over the winter. I have heard of people using diesel fuel, automatic transmisson fluid and kerosene to put in the engine instead of oil and in the spark plug holes. Is one of these better than the other or is there something better?
Thanks in advance!
Chevman | | |
#66926 10/08/2006 5:17 AM | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | I would definately use a rust penetrant as the soaking agent then add some lubricant as it works free. I use BG's In-Force as a penetrant but it's commercial grade stuff so finding it may be difficult. Go to dealerships and independent shops, they may sell you some, Scott
Oh, Chevman, I see you're from my neck-of-the-woods. If you ever come to Cedar Rapids, I'll give you a can. | | |
#66927 10/08/2006 7:36 AM | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 641 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 641 | use some automatic tranny fluid in the mix it will free up anything given time and heat the side of the block every now and then | | |
#66928 10/08/2006 8:02 AM | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,029 Member | | Member Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,029 | A stuck engine is not always due to a piston stuck to a cylinder. Have you verified that you have no dropped valve or a stuck starter, etc? | | |
#66929 10/08/2006 12:03 PM | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 36 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 36 | I just got my 56 Chevy 2 ton home a week ago. My engine is stuck too. I have the plugs out and I've got clear plastic tubes stuck in each spark plug hole. I plan on soaking it until it comes loose also. | | |
#66930 10/08/2006 1:36 PM | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 1,756 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 1,756 | Would sugest pulling the pan at least to see what you could see, gasket probably needs replacing anyway. rusty cyls, frozen bearings etc. a lot easer to inspect from the bottom. | | |
#66931 10/08/2006 2:42 PM | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 248 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 248 | WD-40 gets my vote. It's a reasonable penetrant, has pretty good lubricating qualities, and you can buy it just about anywhere in 1 gal cans. Pour some in each cylinder and let it sit for a while... | | |
#66932 10/08/2006 9:21 PM | Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 1,002 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 1,002 | It's in the Archives
http://www.stovebolt.com/bboard/cgi-bin//ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=22;t=006231#000000
Larry
I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink. | | |
#66933 10/09/2006 12:06 AM | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 469 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 469 | All of the above tips sound pretty good. One thing more you might want to check is the valve train. Most of the time you will find stuck valves. When the motor is free remove the valve cover make sure all of the valves move freely or you could suffer push rod damage. Also you should check the fuel system such as rust and bad gas in the tank old leaky fuel pumps and rotten rubber hoses. | | |
#66934 10/09/2006 10:29 AM | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 83 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 83 | Sounds like Kroil has had several successes and is worth a try. I will get some and give it a try. Thanks to all! | | |
#66935 10/09/2006 7:27 PM | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 | I like KC Masterpiece and a little bit of Tapa Tio and Coca Cola. Uh the engine... ATF or Marvel Mistery Oil, or a combination.
Good Luck | | |
#66936 10/09/2006 7:52 PM | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 10 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: May 2006 Posts: 10 | [QUOTE]Originally posted by chevman: [QB] Looking for some experience here...I have a stuck engine, I have time to let it sit. When I say time I mean like over the winter. I have heard of people using diesel fuel, automatic transmisson fluid and kerosene to put in the engine instead of oil and in the spark plug holes. Is one of these better than the other or is there something better?
Thanks in advance!
I worked on 41 Caddy motor a few years back. I put Marble Mistery Oil in it and it worked. It will take at least four weeks but the longer the better. Once I had it some what moving...I put the Caddy on first gear then pulled it with my other truck...It really worked then. Good luck. | | |
#66937 10/09/2006 9:17 PM | Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 687 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 687 | You will prob. want to freshen up the engine any way, so I would remove the head and pan. Squirt them with a good penatrent use a wooden dowl and a mallet to knock the piston tops with and soak it again. Continue this action till free.
I didn't do it, no one saw me do it, you can't prove anything! "Bart Simpson" | | |
#66938 10/09/2006 11:25 PM | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 190 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 190 | I like Kroil from Kano laboratories. It is the best penetrant I have ever used. A friend of mine has been using it for years at his motorcycle shop and his personal restoration projects. You squirt it into the cylinders and leave it sit a few days. The company also sells plenty other excellent products. It has put all other stuff on the market to shame. | | |
| |