The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (J Lucas, tclederman, Southerntruck), 72 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,133
Posts1,056,398
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 83
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 83
Looking for some experience here...I have a stuck engine, I have time to let it sit. When I say time I mean like over the winter. I have heard of people using diesel fuel, automatic transmisson fluid and kerosene to put in the engine instead of oil and in the spark plug holes. Is one of these better than the other or is there something better?

Thanks in advance!

Chevman

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
I would definately use a rust penetrant as the soaking agent then add some lubricant as it works free. I use BG's In-Force as a penetrant but it's commercial grade stuff so finding it may be difficult. Go to dealerships and independent shops, they may sell you some,
Scott

Oh, Chevman, I see you're from my neck-of-the-woods. If you ever come to Cedar Rapids, I'll give you a can.


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 641
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 641
use some automatic tranny fluid in the mix it will free up anything given time and heat the side of the block every now and then

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
A stuck engine is not always due to a piston stuck to a cylinder. Have you verified that you have no dropped valve or a stuck starter, etc?

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 36
N
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
N Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 36
I just got my 56 Chevy 2 ton home a week ago. My engine is stuck too. I have the plugs out and I've got clear plastic tubes stuck in each spark plug hole. I plan on soaking it until it comes loose also.

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
Would sugest pulling the pan at least to see what you could see, gasket probably needs replacing anyway. rusty cyls, frozen bearings etc. a lot easer to inspect from the bottom.

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 248
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 248
WD-40 gets my vote. It's a reasonable penetrant, has pretty good lubricating qualities, and you can buy it just about anywhere in 1 gal cans. Pour some in each cylinder and let it sit for a while...


Daily Driver 63 C-10 LWB Fleetside
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
It's in the Archives

http://www.stovebolt.com/bboard/cgi-bin//ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=22;t=006231#000000

Larry


I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink.
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 469
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 469
All of the above tips sound pretty good. One thing more you might want to check is the valve train. Most of the time you will find stuck valves. When the motor is free remove the valve cover make sure all of the valves move freely or you could suffer push rod damage. Also you should check the fuel system such as rust and bad gas in the tank old leaky fuel pumps and rotten rubber hoses.

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 83
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 83
Sounds like Kroil has had several successes and is worth a try. I will get some and give it a try.
Thanks to all!

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
I like KC Masterpiece and a little bit of Tapa Tio and Coca Cola. Uh the engine... ATF or Marvel Mistery Oil, or a combination.


Good Luck

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 10
T
Junior Member
Junior Member
T Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 10
[QUOTE]Originally posted by chevman:
[QB] Looking for some experience here...I have a stuck engine, I have time to let it sit. When I say time I mean like over the winter. I have heard of people using diesel fuel, automatic transmisson fluid and kerosene to put in the engine instead of oil and in the spark plug holes. Is one of these better than the other or is there something better?

Thanks in advance!

I worked on 41 Caddy motor a few years back. I put Marble Mistery Oil in it and it worked. It will take at least four weeks but the longer the better.
Once I had it some what moving...I put the Caddy on first gear then pulled it with my other truck...It really worked then. Good luck.

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 687
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 687
You will prob. want to freshen up the engine any way, so I would remove the head and pan. Squirt them with a good penatrent use a wooden dowl and a mallet to knock the piston tops with and soak it again. Continue this action till free.


I didn't do it, no one saw me do it, you can't prove anything! "Bart Simpson"
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 190
W
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 190
I like Kroil from Kano laboratories. It is the best penetrant I have ever used. A friend of mine has been using it for years at his motorcycle shop and his personal restoration projects. You squirt it into the cylinders and leave it sit a few days. The company also sells plenty other excellent products. It has put all other stuff on the market to shame.


1937 Chevy 1/2-Ton
In the Gallery

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0