The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 137 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,102
Posts1,056,184
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 388
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 388
I have my both door cleaned and ready for primer, I was able to remove one ventilator and other one is stuck. I checked the manual and manual says "remove channel attaching bolt"
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/z-laEP99Fpyzzml8vjv5wMlOYeYVGd2ZPqPuwtMBM0o?feat=directlink


Now do I have to access through the lower opening where we bolt the door mount brackets or is it accessible from outside. I will really appreciate your inputs. Looks like when project is hot, one or two questions I pop every day. Thanks for taking time

Ganesh

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,596
You have to stick a ratchet (1/2" socket) up through the door hinge cover opening it is up there about 10" use extentions so your socket handle is in the door opening so you can turn it. If you can hit it with some penetrating lube from the top I would advise it. If it is stuck it will twist the end of the venti-pane channel they usually don't break they just twist the channel. Look at the one that came out the weld nut on the bottom is what you are breaking the bolt out of, it is not uncommon to find them in the bottom of the door having fallen out over the years, was the first one missing?

Last edited by Brad Allen; 07/13/2010 3:31 PM.
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,201
Yes, through the access panel. If memory serves, it is a 1/2" socket and about 10" extension needed.


1953 Chevrolet 3600
Fried Green T'mater (Vern)
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Caution: Political Statement
Man who runs in front of car gets tired, man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 388
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 388
Thanks guys, yes the first one didnot have anything, I just pulled it and it came out no problems, look like I have to work hard on this one. Can I just paint without removing?

Ganesh

Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 105
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 105
I just did this on my 51. Along with what others have suggested I found it useful to get a small automotive mirror on a telescoping handle. It makes it easier to see up in the door and you don't have to lie on your back. I had to spray some penetrating oil on mine and let soak for a couple of days before they broke loose.

Chris

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
Boy, do I feel stoopid... what the heck is a door ventilator? Are you talking about the vent window?


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 388
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 388
Woody door ventilator is what they refer for vent window in Chevy Manuals

Ganesh

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
I guess I fell asleep during that part... grin


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
...don't feel bad Woody. I had to click on the link to make sure what we were looking at!!

smokey truck, you CAN paint without taking them out but if the rubber is bad around the wing vent then I'd pull it out and put some new rubber in it. Its all available as a kit from most vendors. Steele Rubber products is the best but it is also pricey. If its good then I'd proceed.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
It is amazing how much easier working on these old trucks can be when you use a factory assembly manual.


~Jim
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 136
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 136
Originally Posted by BIG CHEVY 3600
It is amazing how much easier working on these old trucks can be when you use a factory assembly manual.
AiN'T it the truth!


1952 Chevy 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures in Photobucket

Doin better'n some an worse than others. Life's what ya make of it. FAMILY, GOD and COUNTRY. Love it or Leave it.

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0