The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Steelonsteel, Hotrod Lincoln, 3800GUY, Barry Martak), 118 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,613
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 29
S
Apprentice
Apprentice
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 29
I have a 65 Short wide with 350 and 3 on tree. I plan to upgrade some engine parts for performance parts. Hopefully to get about 400 horses. A friend has suggested getting a powerglide instead of my original idea of a 350 or 400 turbo transmission.

Any thoughts, ideas, or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 209
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 209
Well the powerglide if built right is a usual use for drag racers. But for daily driving I think the 350 or 400 with a shift kit will handle the job plus give you a 3rd gear. That will be easier on the rpms. Good luck.

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 613
Z
Member
Member
Z Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 613
you will get the best accelleration from a built turbo 350.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
Here's the advice I got from TCI(not Total Cost Involved but from Torque Converters Incorperated). A properly built 350 will take 450 HP, same built 400 will take 600 HP, anything more and it takes a powerglide since they have been run in 5000 HP fuelers and survived. He also stressed that the torque is more of a facter than the HP and that the stall rating on a stall converter means nothing if on a low torque engine.


Evan
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 586
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 586
I agree!Stick with the THM-350.The 400 is bullet proof but very heavy.The Powerglide doesn't have the gear ratios(only two)to keep the engine in the power band.I have a two speed in my Studebaker V-8 and I am always looking for that next upshift.


Wanted Good Woman:
Must be able to cook , clean , sew , tune engines and polish trucks. Must have old Stovebolt and garage. Please send picture of old Stovebolt and garage.
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
You don't say how you plan to drive this truck. If you plan to use it to tow or haul heavy loads the T400 is probably the right answer.

If you are building a drag racer then a built Powerglide might be the answer.

If you are just building a fast driver the T350 would be a good choice, but a 700R4 might be better yet.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 29
S
Apprentice
Apprentice
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 29
It will not be a drag racer. It will be a fast daily driver, that will occasionally (once every month or two) haul a heavy load. Powerglide is out. Now it is between the 350 and 400.

I appreciate everyones input. You all have been very helpful.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Only the old cast iron PowerGlides are desired by racers. Very hard to find anymore and bring big bucks when you do. Stick (no pun intended) with the THM's.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 209
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 209
There ya go then! Case solved.

Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
I would consider getting a beefed up TH700R4. Initially the tranny had a reputation for burning up under load, but with the improvements made after a few years they are a very durable tranny. And you get an overdrive, great on the highway. But there is nothing wrong with the TH350 or TH400 if you son't need the overdrive.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
I have a TH350 behind my 468 in my 4X4. It's about the only part I haven't broke (yet)
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Automatic transmissions use consume power.

I don't recall the exact difference, but in a small block powered truck that wasn't being used heavy all the time I'd go with the TH350 because it uses a lot less power than the TH400. Better mileage and more umph to the ground.

I'm building a 454 powered 1/2-ton using a TH350. I haven't driven it yet, but don't expect to have any problems with it.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0