Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,613 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#58316 03/26/2006 2:57 AM | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 29 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 29 | I have a 65 Short wide with 350 and 3 on tree. I plan to upgrade some engine parts for performance parts. Hopefully to get about 400 horses. A friend has suggested getting a powerglide instead of my original idea of a 350 or 400 turbo transmission.
Any thoughts, ideas, or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you. | | |
#58317 03/26/2006 3:07 AM | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 209 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 209 | Well the powerglide if built right is a usual use for drag racers. But for daily driving I think the 350 or 400 with a shift kit will handle the job plus give you a 3rd gear. That will be easier on the rpms. Good luck. | | |
#58318 03/26/2006 3:08 AM | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 613 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 613 | you will get the best accelleration from a built turbo 350. | | |
#58319 03/26/2006 3:56 AM | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,832 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,832 | Here's the advice I got from TCI(not Total Cost Involved but from Torque Converters Incorperated). A properly built 350 will take 450 HP, same built 400 will take 600 HP, anything more and it takes a powerglide since they have been run in 5000 HP fuelers and survived. He also stressed that the torque is more of a facter than the HP and that the stall rating on a stall converter means nothing if on a low torque engine.
Evan
| | |
#58320 03/26/2006 4:03 AM | Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 586 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 586 | I agree!Stick with the THM-350.The 400 is bullet proof but very heavy.The Powerglide doesn't have the gear ratios(only two)to keep the engine in the power band.I have a two speed in my Studebaker V-8 and I am always looking for that next upshift.
Wanted Good Woman: Must be able to cook , clean , sew , tune engines and polish trucks. Must have old Stovebolt and garage. Please send picture of old Stovebolt and garage.
| | |
#58321 03/26/2006 7:49 AM | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | You don't say how you plan to drive this truck. If you plan to use it to tow or haul heavy loads the T400 is probably the right answer.
If you are building a drag racer then a built Powerglide might be the answer.
If you are just building a fast driver the T350 would be a good choice, but a 700R4 might be better yet.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | |
#58322 03/26/2006 5:22 PM | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 29 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 29 | It will not be a drag racer. It will be a fast daily driver, that will occasionally (once every month or two) haul a heavy load. Powerglide is out. Now it is between the 350 and 400.
I appreciate everyones input. You all have been very helpful. | | |
#58323 03/26/2006 5:33 PM | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 | Only the old cast iron PowerGlides are desired by racers. Very hard to find anymore and bring big bucks when you do. Stick (no pun intended) with the THM's. | | |
#58324 03/26/2006 6:08 PM | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 209 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 209 | There ya go then! Case solved. | | |
#58325 03/27/2006 3:52 AM | Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 | I would consider getting a beefed up TH700R4. Initially the tranny had a reputation for burning up under load, but with the improvements made after a few years they are a very durable tranny. And you get an overdrive, great on the highway. But there is nothing wrong with the TH350 or TH400 if you son't need the overdrive.
Fred 52 3600 69 C-10
| | |
#58326 03/27/2006 4:13 AM | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | I have a TH350 behind my 468 in my 4X4. It's about the only part I haven't broke (yet) Scott | | |
#58327 03/27/2006 5:23 AM | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | Automatic transmissions use consume power.
I don't recall the exact difference, but in a small block powered truck that wasn't being used heavy all the time I'd go with the TH350 because it uses a lot less power than the TH400. Better mileage and more umph to the ground.
I'm building a 454 powered 1/2-ton using a TH350. I haven't driven it yet, but don't expect to have any problems with it.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | |
| |