Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,094 Posts1,056,157 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#56885 02/21/2006 9:39 PM | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 82 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 82 | Stovebolt Brothers and Sisters,
Redoing all of the brake system in my 58 (The Beast, Miss February 2006 in the Stovebolt Calendar) and bought pre-bent lines. As usual, one piece is approximately 3 1/2" short, so I need to bridge the gap. Shortest line available is 8", so I tried to bend a few curves to make it fit. Well, it does not work.
Went to the local NAPA, where I found that a flaring tool was financially out of the question. The enterprising young man behind the counter suggested to shorten the 8" piece and join the two ends back together with a 3/16" union.
Now, Ladies and Gentlemen, while the cheapskate part of me thinks this may be a good idea, my rational part thinks that this may not be so kosher (or safe!!). Have any of you used unions in your braking system, and lived to tell about it? :confused:
Thanks for your opinions and comments,
Richard 58 3104
| | |
#56886 02/21/2006 9:48 PM | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 1,158 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 1,158 | I recently redid my brakes in the '46 with prebent lines, and the master cylinder to junction block like was wrong. Instead of attempting to fix it, I sent the line back with the original, and they hooked me up with the right line, free of charge.
Try to get the right line before you start jury-rigging stuff. Brakes are something you don't want to rig up unless you absolutely have to. | | |
#56887 02/21/2006 10:55 PM | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | It is unsafe & illegal to use compression unions in brake tubes. A double flare tool set should not be all that expensive or have a machine shop flare it for you. You can use inverted flare unions with the tube double flared. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | |
#56888 02/22/2006 1:04 AM | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 2,031 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 2,031 | Instead of buying a very good flaring tool and only needing it two or three times in my life I made up all my brake lines and took them to a brake shop where they ''did the ends up right nice'' and it took about 32 seconds per end. They charged me $5.00 each money well spent. 
Jim & Caroline The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense." Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
| | |
#56889 02/22/2006 1:08 AM | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 1,756 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 1,756 | I did it but have the right tool, I like the idea of going to a brake shop to have them do the flair for you. sounds like the cheapest and easiest way out | | |
#56890 02/22/2006 2:58 AM | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 425 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 425 | $5 a piece? holy [censored]! that's retarded. Go borrow one from autozone- it even has instructions, it's easy. I liked using it so much i kept it, and let autozone have the deposit! ha! Screw the brake shop. | | |
#56891 02/23/2006 10:58 AM | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 926 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 926 | Maybe we should all have oldcarandtrucknut do our brake lines and screw the brake shop. I'm with jim-if I'm not gonna use a tool a lot,I don't see the point in buying it. Besides,whats wrong with having a PROFESSIONAL brake mechanic do your lines,while YOU work on getting something ELSE done? Speed | | |
| |