The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (John Dlugos, Bill Hanlon, klhansen, Gray_Ghost, Otto Skorzeny, Gdads51, 1 invisible), 178 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,179
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#54460 01/04/2006 6:09 AM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
Does anyone know what 15" tire size will achieve a diameter of 30 - 32" ? Thanks.


1962 Fleetside 4spd 235 w/O.D. posi 3:90
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2 5sp
2013 Ram Tradesman C/V
My Webshot Photos]
#54461 01/04/2006 6:50 AM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
700R15LT did it for me

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
#54462 01/04/2006 6:57 AM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
So what's the diameter?


1962 Fleetside 4spd 235 w/O.D. posi 3:90
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2 5sp
2013 Ram Tradesman C/V
My Webshot Photos]
#54463 01/04/2006 7:12 AM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
I'd hafta check, but around 31 if I recall right - noticeably taller than the car size that was on before, and slightly more than original cuz they're 10 plys - I'll measure again tomorrow

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
#54464 01/04/2006 8:33 PM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
well it's actually 30" for the 700's when on the truck, which i think is just about what the original 6.70's would be

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
#54465 01/04/2006 10:38 PM
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
7.00-15 is 29". 7" sidewall (times 2) + 15" wheel. To get in the 30" range you end up with tires that are very wide, like the 31x10.50R15 LT. This is 30.4" tire with a 10.9" width.

I went to 16" rims and a 7.50R16 which is a 31" tire. Find a locally owned tire shop that does truck tires, they might be able to help in your selection.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
#54466 01/05/2006 12:15 PM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 662
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 662

#54467 01/05/2006 11:13 PM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
So... If I go to a 16" wheel, I can get 31" and have a more narrow footprint? I'm also assuming this might make it easier to steer? What about highway driveability? Thanks for the help. Currently looking at 255 70R-15 (29.1" dia. & 10.3" wide) for the rear and 235 75R-15(28.9" dia & 9.3" wide) for the front. I can still change to 16 wheels - its not too late...yet.


1962 Fleetside 4spd 235 w/O.D. posi 3:90
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2 5sp
2013 Ram Tradesman C/V
My Webshot Photos]
#54468 01/06/2006 5:21 AM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 571
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 571
This may help. Tire size calculator wink

#54469 01/06/2006 6:16 AM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,158
I have 15" wheels on my 3/4 ton. I am currently sporting a set of Cooper 235/75R15 tires that are almost 29" across (Seems like they're 28.87 or something).

Modern radial tires come in several different aspect ratios (ie the "75" part) If you were to go with a 255/80R15, you'd end up with a 31" diameter tire. The only thing is, you're looking at 10 inches wide. In comparison, the 235/75R15's that I'm running on mine are 9.25" wide.

16" wheels are another story. You can get 235/80R16's that will be 9.25" with a diameter of 30.8".

I hope this helpes.


~#~#~#~#~
1946 Chevrolet 3600 - "Old Number Seven"

Cavalry's Here. Cavalry's a frightened guy with a rock, but it's here.
#54470 01/06/2006 6:00 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 47
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 47
i'm running 275/60/R15's on the back of my 66 stepside which is 28 in overall diameter and 8.9 inches wide.


1966 Chevrolet C-10
1971 Chevrolet Camaro RS
1989 Pontiac Bonneville
MY GARAGE...www.dragcitygarage.com
#54471 01/07/2006 8:19 AM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
Thanks for your input all. I decided on 16" wheels, tire size P235/75R16. 29.85 diameter, 9.25 section width.


1962 Fleetside 4spd 235 w/O.D. posi 3:90
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2 5sp
2013 Ram Tradesman C/V
My Webshot Photos]
#54472 01/07/2006 5:58 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,733
I settled on P285-70R15 with a diameter of 30.3" to maintain my original 4:10 gearing. This tire is same as a new original 700x15 that I have.


1953 Chevy 5-window 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Picturetrail

Dave
Engine & Driveline Moderator

If you can't make seventy by an easy road, don't go. ~~ Mark Twain
#54473 01/07/2006 8:49 PM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 920
I'm currently riding on 7.00 X 15 tube type on split rim wheels. According to owners manual, the original on mine were 7.10 x 15. New radials will be just slightly taller than that. In the next couple of weeks I will be installing the new 16 inch wheels with the radials. I'll come back with an update once I've driven on them a while.


1962 Fleetside 4spd 235 w/O.D. posi 3:90
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2 5sp
2013 Ram Tradesman C/V
My Webshot Photos]

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0