Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,279 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 7 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 7 | Hello, I'm new to the forum here and I am caught between two trucks I would like to buy and actually use. I need some expert advice  Here is what I know. First truck I found is a 1952 GMC and what looks to be a 1 ton flatbed. It has wheels on the front that I have only ever seen photos of on a 1 ton (thats why i'm guessing its a 1 ton, seller does not know). At the moment there is no flatbed on it though, just the bare frame. The 6cyl in it is running but miledge unknown. 3speed on floor, and seller doesnt think it has a 2 speed rear-end. Needs brake and fuel system work. Needs some other things such as headlights and I would have to build a bed for it. Tires hold air but seller said he would not drive to california on them. The truck is about 3 hours away from where I live. Second truck is a 1952 Chevy 2 ton with very low original miles 6cyl, but is not running and was last used in late 1990's. It already has a nice metal flatbed on it with a winch to pull things up on it. Seller says tires are "shot". This one is about 4.5 hours away from me. Both trucks have some rust in the usual places but nothign that is structural, which is fine with me. Both are in the below $1000 range. I like the looks of the GMC better but it needs more work and the Chevy would fit my needs better as is because if the steel flatbed and a winch to load things. Besides the outer sheet metal, what is different between the trucks? Do they have the same powertrains? Harder to find powertrain parts for one than the other? Which has a better realistic cruise speed? Id like to be able to cruise at least 50mph although more would be even better to not get run over. Is it possible to put on slightly taller tires to help out with cruise speed if needed? Sorry for the long post, I figured it would be best to explain it all at once. I look forward to buying one of these trucks and staying here on the forum. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 1,186 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 1,186 | Hey and welcome! If you could post some pictures that would be great. As far as parts, most are going to be fairly easy to find. Top speed with either would be from 40-50 miles per hour. Tires are going to be expensive on either model so be ready for sticker shock. Are there any numbers on the side of the hood ie, 3100, 3600, 3800 etc? Building a bed or buying a late model bed is no big deal. Look'em over and pick the one you like.
Bruce | | | | | Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 7 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 7 | I can see the hoods have numbers on them but the photos are not good enough to tell what they are. I will ask next time I call. Here are the photos that I have of the trucks: 1952 Chevy & GMC Could you give me a rough idea of what tires would cost? Since one truck is 3 hours away and the other 4 and half hours away I was hoping that I could choose one that would be my first choice. That way if I went and looked at it and it was ok I could go ahead and buy it. Then on my second trip over to it would be when I brought it home (that is a whole nother challenge in itself). | | | | | Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,723 24601 | | 24601 Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 5,723 | A friend just put 6 new bias-ply tube tires on his 2-ton and it ran $1,700. I put 6 new tubeless radials on my 2-ton (I also found six good used single piece tubeless wheels and had them powder coated) and my bill was $2,700. So the range seems to be Low -- $1,700. High -- $2,700. Welcome to the old truck hobby  Be sure to check the brakes ...  John
~ John A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult. 1949 Chevrolet 3804In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum1973 IH 1310 Dump1963 Kaiser M38A12001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley) | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | www.tuckertire.com , has four 7.50 20 tires on ebay, "buy it now" for $492, plus $100 shipping. i'd go with the 2 ton Chevy. The GMC, is definitely a 1 ton. The pickup style front bumper is the give away. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 2,987 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 2,987 | I'd probably also pick the Chevy, since it already has a bed on it. Plus, the winch is an added bonus! | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | They are two very different trucks size wise, the 1 ton is an overgrown pickup, and the 2 ton is a good bit heavier, and somewhat slower.
I've drove a 1 ton Chevy for a few years as my everyday driver, it was fun, but slow, about 45 mph was comfortable even with a rebuilt engine and decent brakes. It would do 50 something if needed. I wouldn't want a stock 2 ton as an everyday driver, but the occasional work truck would be great. (A non stock 2 ton should make a great everyday driver/work truck, time will tell....)
All depends on what you want to do with it?
Only considering the apparent condition and price the Chevy sounds like the better deal.
John's wheel and tire price sounds about right for the tubeless radial tires he has. The tube type bias ply tires will be less, as noted.
Grigg
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | The Chevy parts are easier to come by, especially sheet metal. Tires will be the biggest expense on either but I vote for the bigtruck, Scott | | | | | Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 7 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 7 | Thanks for all the replys! I agree, the Chevy seems to be the better way to go at this point. I always knew the big truck tires where pricey but not that costly for radials! I'll probably go with the bias-plys. Will I need to put flaps in if I get the bias-plys? If I buy new tires this truck will be sure to stay in the garage to keep the sun from deteriorating the tires I just spent all that money on!
Are the wheels on the 2 ton Chevy NOT split type rims? (what i'm asking is are the wheels already on it safe to be using?)
I will probably not use this truck any more than 2 or 3 times a week at most, and I will probably only ever travel a 60 mile distance from my house.
Seems like Napa has nearly everything for this truck and I already have an account with them so that should help out with cost.
Now I just have to get over there and look at it and figure out how i'm getting it home. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | You may or may not have "split rims" you almost certainly have multiple piece rims, hopefully they are the two or three piece lock ring type. This tech tip will explain your possible rims and what you can do. http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/wheels/Keeping the three or two piece lock ring wheels and tube type 20" tires is probably your best choice right now. You probably won't find radial tires that are safe to put on your old rims. Grigg | | | | | Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 7 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 7 | Ok i'll be sure to look at the wheels and take photos when I go to see the truck. Hopefully they are 2 or 3 peice locking ring type. I was wondering that though if radials would be safe on a multiple peice rim? I will more than likely go with new Bias-plys though just because of cost. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | I have both a 1-ton GMC (two of them actually) and a 2-ton Chevy and though the Chevy looks much better in the pictures, I'd go with the 1-ton if you want to build a highway capable regular driver. You'll have to make some changes, but not as many as it will take with the 2-ton.
But the better you can define your intended usage and performance requirements the easier it is to make this kind of decision.
The motor looks like a '54 or later Chevy and would not be the original in either of those trucks. Its hard to be sure from that photo, but it sure looks to me like a four cap screw type valve cover instead of a two nuts type. And I see no sign of a GMC logo embossed in the top. So I conclude '54 to '62 235 or 261.
Parts are easier and cheaper if its a Chevy motor, but the GMC motors are better in a number of other ways.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 | Since each can be bought for "below the $1000 range I'd just make it an easy decision and get both of them if you can manage it. That way you can see the similarities and the differences and decide on the better of the two and sell the other one if you can bring yourself to part with it. I'm betting you can't.
Nothing better than being a "new guy" with two BigBolts. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | Nothing better than being a "new guy" with two BigBolts. As an old guy with more than two big bolts I might disagree... But I would agree that buying both might be the best move. There is sure nothing wrong with having more than one truck! But don't check that statement with my wife.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | Also remember that there are more than two trucks out there for sale.
Figure out what you want and need in a truck, then look for the truck that fits.
Don't be afraid to go look at a few and walk away before you find the right one. The very first truck I went to buy was about a 6 hour drive with trailer in tow, only to find a complete pile of rust, noting like the pictures showed. We turned around and headed home with an empty trailer. As disappointing as that was then, thinking about it today it was still the right move.
And always buy the most rust free truck you can find and afford. Nothing eats time and money faster than quality and professional rust repair, and for most folks that's no fun.
For example, I knew I wanted a 2 ton 5 window AD with no vent windows. I placed a wanted ad and started looking. Found it in SD, it had no bed or engine or transmission, and no rust, exactly what I was looking for. In the end even after driving out to fetch it it cost less than most of the local rust buckets.
What do you plan to do with an old truck?
Grigg
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 7 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 7 | I thought that motor in the GMC looked a little funny since the valve cover was orange. While i'm no expert on GMC's I didnt think that they had any of their motors painted orange.
I'd love to get both trucks! I'm sure my parents would really love that though.... My wallet would be stretched very thin though with two big old trucks a car and the number of other things I am working on.
I have been looking for months for an older truck around here in my price range, and just happened that I found both of these trucks at the same time. I purposely looked for something old and cheap. In my area old iron of any type is not that common. That is why both of these trucks are 3+ hours away.
I will be hauling mostly lawn equipment on the truck, usually several peices at one time. I could probably squat a 1ton truck faster than I would like when loading up equipment. I mostly deal with older stuff and of course thats all built heavier. Also on occasion I will repair a small tractor or two which I would be able to put on the back of the 2 ton Chevy but not on the 1 ton GMC. My friends and I also cut firewood so the 2 ton truck would be alot better for wood hauling. The 2 ton Chevy seems to be alot better choice now that I'm thinking about it. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | Great job describing how you're going to use it. Most people don't seem to have a clear picture and that makes the decision process much harder.
Based on what you've said the 2-ton does sound like the better choice. It will be harder to make a 2-ton go highway speeds and things like brakes will be more expensive.
But then I still like the buy both approach. Handle your parents the same way I handle mine. Don't tell them. But mine live a couple hundred miles away and don't see me any more than I see my own grown children...
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,144 | I see you are pretty close. There is also another stovebolter in Delmar but I'm not sure if He is on the Md or Delaware side. If you can find the time there will be a truck and tractor show at Tuckahoe steam and gas association grounds May 16 Maybe some folks there would also be able to help you in your parts search. I went and looked at a GMC 350 a while back near Georgetown De. There are also 2 46 Chevys nearby I understand are available . 1 ton and a 1.5/2 ton. A running complete vehicle is usually a better choice to start with. good luck
Last edited by kb3csw; 05/03/2009 11:25 AM. Reason: wrong truck show date
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 7 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 7 | oh wow I didnt know there were any guys on here that close to me! I'm on the Maryland side but I could walk a block and I would be on the Delaware side. I'm a member up at Tuckahoe too so I'll be up there for the truck show. Today at Tuckahoe it is steam school day which I usally like to go up there and help with that but just too much to work on today here at home.
Seems like anything that runs is out of my price range. Takes away all the fun too if it already runs! Since the 2 ton Chevy has such low miles I figure I'm just looking at doing a full tune-up on the engine, fluids, belts, hoses, and whatever else the brakes or fuel system might need.
My family has 4 cars in the driveway, but I can fit one truck in there if everything is parked right. Our 2 car garage is full as well, one bay has my dads 1964 Corvair in it and the other bay has all my small engine repair work going on. | | |
| |