Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
192
guests, and
0
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,143 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#49842 09/01/2005 11:01 PM | Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 27 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 27 | Could any body give me the average gas mileage on a straight 6 235.
If ain't broke Break it and fix it.
| | |
#49843 09/02/2005 12:30 AM | Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 703 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 703 | There would be alot of things that would factor into the answer, i.e. gear ratios, driving habits etc. However, I would guesstimate low to mid teens, at best, and on average. | | |
#49844 09/02/2005 12:30 AM | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 | i can give a below average on mine with dual carbs, dual exhaust, 2.73 rear end and a 5 speed. in town 9.5 on road 12.5. ron
Ron, The Computer Greek I love therefore I am.1954 3100 Chevy truckIn the Gallery 2017 Buick Encore See more pix1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
| | |
#49845 09/02/2005 12:41 AM | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 1,904 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2001 Posts: 1,904 | I got 11.7 MPG with the old 235 and the rather short, original 4.57 rear end of my 3/4T.
I haven't measured it with the 261 and 4.10 rear end. 1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet 34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
| | |
#49846 09/02/2005 1:44 AM | Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 | Redryder pixMy HotrodA veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option. | | |
#49847 09/02/2005 2:37 AM | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 66 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 66 | Mine is a '50 3100. I have a 1956 235, coupled to a Muncie three speed. I have a 12 bolt GM Corporate rear end. I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil. I have Fenton headers, a Patrick's stainless steel dual exhaust, a Carter YF, MSD ignition, Magnicor cables, and a big size 15 1/2 right foot. The left foot is 15 1/2 too, but it has no impact on fuel economy!
I get a 14 MPG on the highway.
With the price of gas as it is I need to get going on that overdrive transmission! | | |
#49848 09/02/2005 2:46 AM | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | I get about 4 or 5 MPG. Of coarse mine is in a 1 1/2 ton and I'm usually hauling 6 to 8 ton of gravel or dirt, Scott | | |
#49849 09/02/2005 4:21 AM | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 920 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2004 Posts: 920 | I can get 12 to 20, depending on my mood and/or load. Wind direction can be a major factor. 62 C-10 4spd 3.90 posi Longbed Fleetside. | | |
#49850 09/09/2005 11:00 PM | Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 117 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 117 | 55 1st series, 261, dual carbs, fenton headers, original hydra-matic, 3.90 gear, 28.5" tires = 12.7 mpg at 55 mph for 197 miles.
cgresham1212 If you don't drive it, why have it? 55 1st Series 3100 5 window
| | |
#49851 09/09/2005 11:33 PM | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 531 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 531 | I have to get my odometer fixed then I'll know... but even if I get crap milage I'll STILL be driving my daily driver ol' Bolt! | | |
#49852 09/10/2005 2:18 AM | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 49 Member | | Member Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 49 | 6 cyls don't necessarily = economy. If thats an issue buy a Toyota. | | |
#49853 09/10/2005 2:50 AM | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 399 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 399 | I wish I knew, but just got my gas gauge workin on my 54 235, and my odometer says 433,321, if you can read those faded numbers..Who cares, just put gas in it, and drive your bolt,Steve..If my truck don't care, I don't care..First Light, me and my buddy are cruisin..Ya'll have a great weekend and if you aren't wrenchin, you should be drivin..Just me, part of the non-smokin bolters (we are really trying)...IT IS PAINTED.. | | |
#49854 09/10/2005 2:59 AM | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 399 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 399 | Oh, by the way..the truck and I are going to the introduction of the new 2006 Harley lineup..and free beer and brats..Could even win another one..Hell, it's just across the road..I know my truck will make it that far, and will probably get VIP parking..I would send some pics, but there might be some wet shirts due to the front coming in from the SW..If Stupid doesn't forget his camera..There could be a front with protruding headlights..Next chapter.stay tuned | | |
#49855 09/11/2005 6:11 AM | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 | I get about 15 with my 261 around town with the stock 4.11 gears. I got about 20 with the 216, before it went to knockin. The Rochester could use a bit of tuning, the thing runs a bit on the rich side. When the milage drops down I know its time to reset the point gaps (I have a dual point distributor).
Paint & Body Shop moderator A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. | | |
#49856 09/12/2005 3:53 PM | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 258 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 258 | When my '54 3/4 ton was a daily driver, I was getting about 12 mpg city and 14-16 mpg highway.
If I pushed it over 50 MPH for any legnth of time, the fuel mileage went WAY down...
Stock 235, Rochester B, 3-speed, 4.57 rear, 7.50 x 15 tires.
Just drove my '72 C-10 long-box with 250 six, 3-sp, on a long trip (400 miles); kept my foot outta the carb (65mph or less) on the way down, and was surprised to actually get 18 mpg.
Frank McMullen 1941 Chevy dump truck 1949 GMC 100 pick-up 1954 Chevy 3600 pick-up 1955.1 4400 dump truck 1941 De Soto & other MoPars 1928 Model A F**D Special Coupe
| | |
#49857 09/14/2005 1:46 AM | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,067 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,067 | I've got a 235 powered 3/4 ton (1952) with 4.56 gears and I average between 13 and 14 mpg on the highway. Shockingly bad for a tiny little one-barrel carb, but I see everyone else gets around that too. As long as I don't commute in it, it's okay.
52 GMC 3/4 ton pickup 68 Big Block Vette 68 455 Firebird | | |
#49858 09/14/2005 2:17 AM | Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 | 52 3/4 ton, 54 model 235 with M4F cam and one bbl, 4.10 gears, 31" tires with stock racks and ruuning down the highway at 60+. I get about 15 mpg.
Fred 52 3600 69 C-10
| | |
#49859 09/14/2005 3:25 AM | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 571 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 571 | Just made a trip to Kansas City from Denver. Got 18 mpg with a 57 235, bigger cam, single 1 bbl Carter YF carb, T5 trans. About 70 mph @ 1900 RPM. My guess is about 15 mpg around town. | | |
#49860 09/14/2005 4:07 AM | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,067 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,067 | Wow, great cruising rpm. My top speed is about 68 mph and that's around 3500 rpm. Must be the overdrive. What did you use for a bellhousing to mate the T5 to the I-6?
52 GMC 3/4 ton pickup 68 Big Block Vette 68 455 Firebird | | |
#49861 09/14/2005 4:21 AM | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 571 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 571 | I used the original bellhousing from the 216. I also used a flywheel from a 261 and the 12 volt starter that was on the 235. This allowed me to keep the foot starter. Another reason for the low RPM is the rear end gear. I bought the rear from a junk yard. It was marked as a 3.73 out of a 65 1/2 ton. I think the gear is higher than that though. Boy did it come alive at the lower elevation of Kansas City. I think I need to rejet the carb. It runs a little rich at this mile high altitude. HRD, what carb are you using? Know where I can get jets for a Carter YF? I don't know which one I need yet though. | | |
#49862 09/14/2005 11:20 PM | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 258 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 258 | Anbody compare fuel mileage comparing a properly set-up YF Carter against a Rochester B on the same truck ?
Frank McMullen 1941 Chevy dump truck 1949 GMC 100 pick-up 1954 Chevy 3600 pick-up 1955.1 4400 dump truck 1941 De Soto & other MoPars 1928 Model A F**D Special Coupe
| | |
#49863 09/14/2005 11:54 PM | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 571 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 571 | Originally posted by Frank54: Anbody compare fuel mileage comparing a properly set-up YF Carter against a Rochester B on the same truck ? Yes Frank. The Rochester got slightly better mileage but I had it jetted leaner. I need to find the right main jet for the YF. It runs a little rich. My guess is once I get the YF right they will be about the same. | | |
#49864 09/15/2005 2:04 AM | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 613 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 613 | so if you want to get decent mileage you should remove the 235 and install a 305? | | |
#49865 09/15/2005 4:22 AM | Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 275 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 275 | Zenish. 305 for a 235. Blasphemy! BTW. My 261 w/od & 3.31 rear end does about 2K rpm at 65. 18 mpg and running rich. Working on the jets this weekend. Currently have all the wheels off to check the balance and front wheel bearings out and back in for repacking. Going to Goodguys in KC, MO on the 23rd. | | |
#49866 09/16/2005 1:50 AM | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 613 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 613 | we have a shop truck that is a 4.3/auto.its surprisingly fast and gets decent mileage.another possible choise. | | |
#49867 09/19/2005 4:31 PM | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 887 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 887 | Does anybody have any gas milage experience with the twin progressive 2 barrel Carter-Webbers Langdon sells? I read another post where someone was getting in the low 20s with the 5 spd o/d, open diff with highway gears, twin two-barrels and HEI.
'51 Chevy 1/2 ton w/'62 261, HEI, offy, fentons, dual carter/webbers, t-5 & 12 bolt posi
| | |
#49868 09/19/2005 8:45 PM | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | My '72 with a 350 and an automatic with 3.5-something gears gets about one mile per gallon better than my '55 1st with a GMC 270, SM420 and 3.08 gears.
My other V-8 powered truck averages about half what the '72 gets, but it has a 454 and 4.11 gears.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | |
| |