The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (KEVINSKI, ronsway, Otto Skorzeny, Greg_H, 1955 1 Series, TrknGMC, TooMany2count), 157 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,481
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#455984 09/25/2008 11:25 PM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
I had a drive shaft made for my 51 with 350 and R7004. That was a year ago or so. Last week after installing my Lokar dip stick I added 6 qts of oil. To my surprise I discovered a leak coming from the front yoke. Under closer investigation I could see fluid seeping from a small hole in the center of the yoke. In research I see that the drive shaft company should have put an automatic tranny yoke on. The one I have is for a std tranny.
Solution: cut a cardboard circle the size of the back of the yoke and after cleaning the yoke put Permatex Silicone Ultra Black on the cardboard and infuse it into the hole.
You never get too old to learn


~Jim
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 71
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 71
LOL nice fix. I like it, but how long will it hold up?

Tony


Wide open 'til you see God...



Then brake

'64 Stepside 355, 700R4, 10:1 C/R, TCI Streetfighter, Thumper Cam, Hedman Hedders, starting wiring and bodywork shortly, W.I.P.
'07 Charger 3.5L
'99 Dodge Ram 1500 Ext. Cab 360 4x4 (Sold)
'07 F@#$ Focus ST (Sold)
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
According to the guys over at Phoenix Transmissions it will last for years and years.


~Jim
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
If the fluid level is that high, you've got other problems. If the torque converter is leaking down and filling the case to the level of the center of the output shaft or higher, there's a problem in the valve body with the converter anti-drainback valve. The fluid level in the case should NEVER get high enough for fluid to leak out of the vent hole in the slip yoke!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
Thanks for the heads up Jerry. Question: This transmission is brand new and never run. It is bolted to my 350 crate that also has never been started. I put 6 qts in just to be able to use the new dip stick. I probably won't start it up for several months, I'll still working on wiring, gauges, steering column and front sheetmetal.
Now, knowing this do you still say there's a problem with the valve body?


~Jim
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 863
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 863
If the engine/tranny has never been run, the torqueconverer is dry/empty,
hence the hi fluid level and the seepage, 3-4 qts will fill the torque converter.....


My GMC has a bad case of ship fitters disease!
GMC: Get More Cash...
1958 GMC
1956 Chevy 1500 Hydraulic Dump Truck
1952 Chevy 1700 3-Ton Firetruck

My Webshots photos
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
That makes sense. I just measured 2qts that was lost. 6qts minus 4qts equals 2qts.


~Jim
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
I discovered the same thing when I overfilled a rebuilt Torqueflite 904 before starting the engine. 2 quarts ended up on the floor out of the case vent! Unless the engine is running once the filling begins, the torque converter will not fill. Once it fills, a check valve in the valve body keeps it from leaking down. Don't add any more fluid until you're able to fire it up!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
Thanks buddy!


~Jim
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
You guys probably know more than I ever will but I have a comment/question.
Most all my tranny work has/is done by a guy who, along wih his dad, have been building trannies for over 40 years and have a very respectable business and known for their quality work.
This said they "shared" something with me that I had never heard before. When they rebuild a tranny the first "quart" that goes in the tranny is a quart of 5-30 motor oil into the torque converter. Since they told me that I have always put a quart of it in any tranny that I put in and start up. They gave a reason for this but I was wondering......have any of you done this or heard of it????
Jerry, how about it. Is this old news I've only heard about a few years ago or is a "trade secret" that I just never heard about.
I may add that they also build all types of racing trannys from funny cars to rail dragsters.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
I'm going to have to disagree with your buddy. While the motor oil might not hurt anything, I don't see any reason to use it instead of the proper grade of trans fluid. I grew up around a shop my father owned in Nashville, and he was the second man in middle Tennessee to work on automatic transmissions, beginning in 1945 or so. From the mid-40's to the mid-60's, he probably worked on thousands of transmissions of all types. The original automatac trans fluid was "Type A, Suffix A", which contained a little sperm whale oil. Since whaling was banned, or at least severely restricted, synthetic oil similar to whale oil was added to transmission fluid, resulting in a bunch of special designations.

There are about 4 or 5 varieties of the "Dexron" fluids, depending on the year and performance level of various transmissions. I think Chrysler runs a dedicated fluid, as well as some of the import cars. All of them run a bunch of friction enhancers and other additives that just aren't present in any motor oil. Trans fluid must help the clutches lock up firmly, yet engage smoothly, and it must lubricate moving parts at the same time. It must also transmit pressure efficiently. There are detergents and anti-foaming agents different from, or not present in motor oils. Transmission fluid has to do a lot more than motor oil, so I don't see any advantage to mixing a foreign fluid into the situation. Ditto for transmission "additives" unless you're trying to solve a specific problem like slippy clutches or pressure leaks past hardened clutch piston seals.

Jerry

Last edited by Hotrod Lincoln; 09/26/2008 5:25 PM.

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Thanks for your view Jerry. I am definitely not one to add "snake oils" to try fix a problem. When it gets to that point its time to actually FIX the problem and not look for bandaids. But I must confess on this one. I have added to automatic tranny's as I mentioned earlier and have not had any bad effects with the last one running almost 200,000 before selling the car. I really don't understand why but this guys dad is about 75 and has never did anything but tranny rebuilds...and his son has been doing it with him for "umpteen years" so I put a little faith in what they said.
Hopefully I will never have to have a rebuild for the rest of my life but if I do I'll consider your point of view....which mine was tje same as yours until I worked with these guys.

Thanks Jerry, your a gem to have around the stovebolt.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 92
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 92
I've built import trannies (and a few domestics)for the last 20+ years and I would never add oil to an automatic. Just my opinion, but I don't see any (logical)reason behind it,
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
It's great fun to hear all these "old husbands tales" from the old time garage. I always heard that a gallon of diesel to a tank of gas would help the engine. I never did this mainly because there was never any diesel at the "service" station where I bought my .30 cents worth. grin


~Jim
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
The right mixture of diesel and gas is an explosion waiting to happen. I don't buy into any of those old urban myths,
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 71
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 71
Plus, along the lines of adding engine oil, there's a difference in the pressure that's created, or the compressability (is that a word?) of engine oil, trans fluid, brake fluid, or power steering fluid. They're all designed for different pressure levels, and, from what I know, mixing any of them is just a recipe for trouble.

I've always just filled the torque convertor with 2 quarts of trans fluid before I put it on the trans, wiped a little on the seal, and never had any problems.

Tony


Wide open 'til you see God...



Then brake

'64 Stepside 355, 700R4, 10:1 C/R, TCI Streetfighter, Thumper Cam, Hedman Hedders, starting wiring and bodywork shortly, W.I.P.
'07 Charger 3.5L
'99 Dodge Ram 1500 Ext. Cab 360 4x4 (Sold)
'07 F@#$ Focus ST (Sold)
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
I guess you would have to have been around back then to appreciate that old folklore.


~Jim
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 206
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 206
I alway's add a handfull of sawdust to the tranny to quiet it down before selling,,,,,,,LOL just kidding!

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
And bananas to the rear end to stop the grinding sound!


~Jim
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 615
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 615
my uderstanding is oil softens the rubber parts in a tranny-not in a good way. It's OK in a pinch but should be drained as soon as possible..Trans fluid does not harm rubber, likewise power steering fluid.

Keith


Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0