The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Jon G, papas52, Peggy M, Hotrod Lincoln, ronsway, 2 invisible), 80 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,087
Posts1,056,340
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
J
jdl
Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
I just got to thinking: Is my truck a shortbed or a longbed? Now I don't know. How do you tell?


Jordan D. Long

1954 Chevrolet 3100 1/2-Ton

And some more pictures
Photobucket

I got a 'Possum Pickup... Now I'm the Roadkill King!!! Anyone want to make some Stovebolt Stew?
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Jordan,

If you have a 1/2 ton 1954 Chevrolet pickup truck it has a "short" bed (77 1/4" boards). GMC 1/2 ton pick-up trucks were available with a short bed or a long bed (I think that the 3/4 ton trucks of both brands were always the "long" bed (89" boards)).

Tim

Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
J
jdl
Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
Ok, so I have the short bed. And all this time I thought that I had a long bed!


Jordan D. Long

1954 Chevrolet 3100 1/2-Ton

And some more pictures
Photobucket

I got a 'Possum Pickup... Now I'm the Roadkill King!!! Anyone want to make some Stovebolt Stew?
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 513
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 513
how many lug nuts do you have? 6 is a 1/2 ton, 8 is a 3/4 ton.
1/2 is short and 3/4 is long

Last edited by mikes 63-k10; 03/16/2008 6:46 PM.

1949 Chevy 3600 Flatbed all orginal
1964 gmc 4000
1973 gmc 6000
2005 chevy duramax 4x4
1994 chevy 1500
Trucks are GM and Tractors are Orange

"I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom." - General George S. Patton
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
J
jdl
Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
6, so it's a short.


Jordan D. Long

1954 Chevrolet 3100 1/2-Ton

And some more pictures
Photobucket

I got a 'Possum Pickup... Now I'm the Roadkill King!!! Anyone want to make some Stovebolt Stew?
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
If you have 2 stake pockets ahead of the rear fender its a long box.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
That would be two stake pockets on each side ahead of the rear fender.


~Jim
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
J
jdl
Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
I only have 4. One on each side in the front before the fender, and one on each side after the fender.


Jordan D. Long

1954 Chevrolet 3100 1/2-Ton

And some more pictures
Photobucket

I got a 'Possum Pickup... Now I'm the Roadkill King!!! Anyone want to make some Stovebolt Stew?
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
That settles it Jordan, you has yo self a 1/2 ton.


~Jim
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
J
jdl
Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
Well, I knew that! Just people kept replying to what I'd said and I already knew that I had a 1/2 ton, but kept replying. I think I said twice that it was a 1/2 ton?


Jordan D. Long

1954 Chevrolet 3100 1/2-Ton

And some more pictures
Photobucket

I got a 'Possum Pickup... Now I'm the Roadkill King!!! Anyone want to make some Stovebolt Stew?
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 829
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 829
I think your truck is a half-ton, Jordan. blush


David Colter
pics * 1954 wrecker * [color:#009900]1948 Chevy 1-Ton[/color]
No act of kindness - no matter how small - is ever wasted ~~ Aesop
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
Is your truck a half ton?


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Some of us are hard of hearing. Can you speak louder? grin
But please, no capitals. THAT IS SHOUTING.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
J
jdl
Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
Now you guys are just trying to make me mad!


Jordan D. Long

1954 Chevrolet 3100 1/2-Ton

And some more pictures
Photobucket

I got a 'Possum Pickup... Now I'm the Roadkill King!!! Anyone want to make some Stovebolt Stew?
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
I believe the question is, "is my truck a short bed or a long bed."
Seeing Jordan, that it is a 1/2 ton it must be a short bed.


~Jim
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,644
Originally Posted by jdl
Now you guys are just trying to make me mad!

I think they're just trying to make you laugh.


Woody
Your Brother in Bolthood

My 1951 half-ton 'Ol Red

Save the VINTAGE DOOR ART! Please contribute photos.
Door Art Collection
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
J
jdl
Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
Well, they've succeeded if that's what they're trying to do!


Jordan D. Long

1954 Chevrolet 3100 1/2-Ton

And some more pictures
Photobucket

I got a 'Possum Pickup... Now I'm the Roadkill King!!! Anyone want to make some Stovebolt Stew?
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 58
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 58
The longbox on the 1-ton I believe had a 9 ft box. I took the long runningboards off my truck. Their taking up space in my garage.
Dave


1954 custom 1-ton (1 of a kind)
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 143
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 143
Jordan, You gotta remember that we're old and SLOOOOW-- can't figger these new fangled 'puters out--while we type out responses with one finger, someone who uses TWO fingers beats us to the punch-- of course , we can't tell that till we hit the submit button. We even sometimes send the same message twice! I guess we need tio get the grandsons to respond for us!

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,703
LOL ..well said Grandpa!
JD ..you got lottsa time...you will get it eventually.


1952 Chevy Shortbed

Photos in Photobucket

If It Aint Broke Fix It Till It Is!
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
J
jdl
Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
Thanks guys. Got the camera today and I will try to get the pics up soon.


Jordan D. Long

1954 Chevrolet 3100 1/2-Ton

And some more pictures
Photobucket

I got a 'Possum Pickup... Now I'm the Roadkill King!!! Anyone want to make some Stovebolt Stew?

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0