Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,354 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 1,403 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 1,403 | I just got to thinking: Is my truck a shortbed or a longbed? Now I don't know. How do you tell? | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Jordan,
If you have a 1/2 ton 1954 Chevrolet pickup truck it has a "short" bed (77 1/4" boards). GMC 1/2 ton pick-up trucks were available with a short bed or a long bed (I think that the 3/4 ton trucks of both brands were always the "long" bed (89" boards)).
Tim | | | | | Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 1,403 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 1,403 | Ok, so I have the short bed. And all this time I thought that I had a long bed! | | | | | Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 513 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 513 | how many lug nuts do you have? 6 is a 1/2 ton, 8 is a 3/4 ton. 1/2 is short and 3/4 is long
Last edited by mikes 63-k10; 03/16/2008 6:46 PM.
1949 Chevy 3600 Flatbed all orginal 1964 gmc 4000 1973 gmc 6000 2005 chevy duramax 4x4 1994 chevy 1500 Trucks are GM and Tractors are Orange "I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom." - General George S. Patton | | | | | Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 1,403 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 1,403 | | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 | If you have 2 stake pockets ahead of the rear fender its a long box. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | That would be two stake pockets on each side ahead of the rear fender.
~Jim
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 1,403 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 1,403 | I only have 4. One on each side in the front before the fender, and one on each side after the fender. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | That settles it Jordan, you has yo self a 1/2 ton.
~Jim
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 1,403 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 1,403 | Well, I knew that! Just people kept replying to what I'd said and I already knew that I had a 1/2 ton, but kept replying. I think I said twice that it was a 1/2 ton? | | | | | Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 829 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 829 | I think your truck is a half-ton, Jordan.  | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,953 | Is your truck a half ton? | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | Some of us are hard of hearing. Can you speak louder?  But please, no capitals. THAT IS SHOUTING. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 1,403 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 1,403 | Now you guys are just trying to make me mad! | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | I believe the question is, "is my truck a short bed or a long bed." Seeing Jordan, that it is a 1/2 ton it must be a short bed.
~Jim
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 2,644 | Now you guys are just trying to make me mad! I think they're just trying to make you laugh. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 1,403 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 1,403 | Well, they've succeeded if that's what they're trying to do! | | | | | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 58 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 58 | The longbox on the 1-ton I believe had a 9 ft box. I took the long runningboards off my truck. Their taking up space in my garage. Dave
1954 custom 1-ton (1 of a kind) | | | | | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 143 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 143 | Jordan, You gotta remember that we're old and SLOOOOW-- can't figger these new fangled 'puters out--while we type out responses with one finger, someone who uses TWO fingers beats us to the punch-- of course , we can't tell that till we hit the submit button. We even sometimes send the same message twice! I guess we need tio get the grandsons to respond for us! | | | | | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 1,703 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 1,703 | LOL ..well said Grandpa! JD ..you got lottsa time...you will get it eventually. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 1,403 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2007 Posts: 1,403 | Thanks guys. Got the camera today and I will try to get the pics up soon. | | |
| |