The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (TUTS 59, klhansen, cmayna), 76 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,099
Posts1,056,501
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 103
L
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 103
I just picked up a good running inline 250 for my '49 and I want to at least replace oil pan, valve cover and maybe head gaskets but want to know the proper long lasting way of doing it. Do I put the gaskets on dry or do they also need a gasket maker as well or is gasket maker better? Thanks.

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
lazy j,

This is one of those things where everyone has their tried and true method. I have always done my gaskets in this fashion.

Remove the old gasket and wire brush the surface to get it spotlessly clean. Hammer any bolt-through flange flat on your work bench so no dimple's remain.

I spray both sides of the gasket and the mating surface of the pan, valve cover or other item with Permatex High-Tack gasket adhesive and let them dry.

Apply the gasket to the pan, valve cover or other item and install. Certain areas on the pan gasket get a dab of silicone which I let set up for awhile before I install the pan.

Many folks swear by the silicone gaskets makers and they too work fine. I don't like the appearance of the snot hanging out between the mating surfaces if you over apply the stuff.


Stuart

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
S
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
My opinion is as such - I use permatex Ultra Copper, and lightly coat both sides of the gasket like Stuart does with the High-Tack. I apply a little more where needed in corners of going around main bearing journals, etc. This has never lead to a gasket leak, and the minimum ammount keeps the gasket material from squishing out and looking like snot.

I use Ultra Copper as you can apply over oil and it has the widest general temperature range. Head gaskets are put on dry

HTH

Scott


The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 65
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 65
I have a brother who is a farm mechanic. He swears that you should only use gasket sealant on one side of the gasket. The reason is that if you ever have to remove a component, you can get it off. Once the part is off, you can then scrape off remaining gasket or sealant. So far this has worked pretty well for me.

Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
Just so we have everything covered. I use a Scotch Brite pad in a right angle die grinder to clean all the surfaces were the gasket goes. If the surfaces are clean you shouldn't need gasket sealer. That's what my Dad taught me, with one excepting. The exception was to use " Indian Head" gasket cement on motorcycle cases. I have one more exception and I add RTV were two gaskets meet, i.e. were the intake gskt meets intake head gaskets and pan gskt meets the gskt around the crank. To my Dads' way of thinking gasket sealers came under the heading of gas additives. If the gasket needs to be held in place tie it on with some string. That's "Old school" my Dad started working in a gas station in 1932.

Larry


I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink.
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
Originally Posted by jwc1949gmc
He swears that you should only use gasket sealant on one side of the gasket.

This is the same way my dad taught me to use sealant but for different reasons. If you coat both sides you can displace the gasket when tightening the part down. The only exception I make is with oil pans as I tend to lean on the heavier side with the sealant here.

Like said above, cleanliness is the most important part.

Jeff


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 266
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 266
My dad told me to make sure everything is spotlessly clean first. Then he said put a thin film of gasket sealant on the side of the gasket that is on the part and not the engine block, that way if you have to clean it off, you're not scraping in some odd angle under your vehicle. You can always see better at the workbench compared to hanging upside down under the truck. And make sure to torque everything down properly and it shouldn't leak. He also said that it doesn't hurt to put some on both sides if it is a high stress area or where two gaskets meet.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
Just changed the water pump on my Buick V8. After making certain the mating surface on the block was clean and flat I put gasket cement on the pump and put the gasket on it. When it was dry and secure I put the pump on the block without any more adhesive.
Of all the gasket goo type stuff out there i have found that Permatex Window Strip Adhesive (yellow) works best for me in all applications.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 461
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 461
I would go for dry. If you ever want to take this thing apart again, the various sealers will make the job much more difficult- and you probably regret the decision to glue the gaskets in place. You can use a layer of chassis grease to hold gaskets in place where they are likely to fall off while you working with the part.

Harvester

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
For oil pan gasket I think the biggest "key" is to make sure the oil pan gasket surface is straight. Most of them are out of shape from the bolts being tightened over the years, or overtightened. You'll need to straighten the gasket surface first and foremost. Use a torque wrench when tightening them again. You'll be amazed at how little torque it takes for these.

After scraping the gasket surfaces, I like to try and remove any previous gasket glues with some lacquer thinner and rag.

I've used Gaskacinch, Hi-tach, and a few others with good results. Gaskacinch seems to work well and removes fairly easily too. Although there are places to use for sealing with these products, I try to use these products sparingly and to keep the gasket in place, not to seal. That is what the gasket is for.

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
Everyone has a personal preference for gaskets and sealers used. In my years of experience I've found the biggest mistake people make is using cheap / inexpensive made gaskets. Make sure to use a gasket made with top quality products and is fresh off the shelf and not something thats sat around for years and years. As far as any "goop" I've found all thats needed is a small dab where 2 gaskets meet such as an oil pan to the end gaskets. RTV type sealers seems to work the best and last the longest because they don't set up rock hard. As mentioned above, cleanliness is also very important.
Good Luck
Don

Joined: May 2007
Posts: 95
U
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
U Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 95
Have you noticed it is getting harder to get i diff cover gasket.
I have never found a place where gasket in a tube works better.
And if you think that snot hanging around on the out side of the gasket in the tube job looks bad..........Think about whats going on inside.
Also?
I must be getting old; because i can remember setting around with a ballpeen hammer making gaskets.

Last edited by underdog; 02/25/2008 9:01 PM.
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 103
L
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 103
Somehow I knew I would get 10 different opinions on this. The gaskets may be fine, but I just figure it sure can't hurt to change them before I put the motor in. I did get to hear it run so that makes me sleep better at night. I do appreciate the help guys!

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 84
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 84
By the By,
Some bolts will "wick" oil or, in some cases, water, coolant. I personally prefer to dab a touck of sealant, your choice, on the threads to prevent this. My .02 worth, works for me.
dg


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0