The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Justhorsenround, Otto Skorzeny, Hotrod Lincoln), 107 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,485
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#354553 12/31/2007 6:51 AM
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 11
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 11
hello everyone, newcomers here, we just bought a truck we have both been wanting for a few years now. We just moved to kentucky from michigan and was out riding around when a local backroad farm had "GRETCHEN" outfront with a 4'x4' board that said $250 and a phone number. after about 25 to 30 phone calls i finally got ahold of the owner who said "YES it runs and drives i would take her to tenn. right now if you wanted." So I then told Mr. Hall that i would be right out to get it.

I will be asking lots of questions and hoping the wife and i can make some new friends in the process

Thanks in advance for any help you give us. Thanks to Jimbo and
1946 chevy 1 for the info i already recieved, lots of help already

Last edited by Brian & Krystal; 01/01/2008 8:48 PM.

53 3800 "GRETCHEN" sold
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/561961050sRrxhL
70 Oldsmobile Delta 88 custom
75 gmc 3/4 ton 4x4
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 67
A
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
A Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 67
Welcome to the bolt. You will find almost anything you wish to seek about your truck here. Just remember to take pictures. They love pictures here.
Cheers
brendon

Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
J
jdl Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,403
Welcome to the Bolt. I've been registered on the forums only a few days, but have been around the site for a year or 2. In these few days, I have learned alot. Hopefully, and I know you will if you stick around, you will learn everything you need to know and more. I'm addicted to the site now and I think I'm on here about 5 times a day. At least you have your truck home. I found one at my friends house only 5 miles away and can't seem to get it home yet. I think I'm jealous!!! grin grin thumbs_up


Jordan D. Long

1954 Chevrolet 3100 1/2-Ton

And some more pictures
Photobucket

I got a 'Possum Pickup... Now I'm the Roadkill King!!! Anyone want to make some Stovebolt Stew?
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893

Welcome to the 'Bolt!

Be sure to experiment with the search feature in the forums.

You have to sift through to find the nuggets, but there is a lot of good information in there.

Glad to have you...

-W

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 91
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 91
Welcome

There is a small fee for using this site. As mentioned, we do love pics.
(We like to watch) hehe



Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 453
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 453
Welcome to the bolt! I see you're in Lancaster, Kentucky. I live near Lancaster, PA. How do the locals pronounce it..."Langcister" or "Lan-caster?

Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
Welcome!


Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 11
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 11
that is hillarious they say "lang-cister"!!!! the other part that is funny is the county spelled Garrard pronounced "garid" thanks to everyone for the great welcome we will have pics very soon!!!!



53 3800 "GRETCHEN" sold
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/561961050sRrxhL
70 Oldsmobile Delta 88 custom
75 gmc 3/4 ton 4x4
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
Good. I have the same truck as yours. I've made a few changes for the sake of driveability - the mirrors and wheels/tires are the most noticeable - but my current plan is to keep her fairly close to original, and to keep making her work[IMG]http://thumb11.webshots.net/t/53/753/1/87/18/2078187180096215731SvWDHj_th.jpg[/IMG] and play.[IMG]http://thumb11.webshots.net/t/69/69/8/65/29/2891865290096215731WiLxVg_th.jpg[/IMG] Click on the pic for a closer look, or on the link below for my Gallery addition. I have always wanted to see Kentucky, and like everyone else here I look forward to your pictures


1951 3800

Be the change you want to see.
-hotshoe
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 11
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 11
[URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/album/561961050sRrxhL

Hope this works


53 3800 "GRETCHEN" sold
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/561961050sRrxhL
70 Oldsmobile Delta 88 custom
75 gmc 3/4 ton 4x4
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
Oh, my. Okay, I don't have the same truck. Mine's a 3804. I like your big wheels.


1951 3800

Be the change you want to see.
-hotshoe
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 91
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 91
One tons are cool, nice truck and great price.I'm sure you'll have a great time driving and workin on her.

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 677
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 677
Cool Truck !! Welcome to the Bolt !!


Some people are like Slinkies, Their not really good for nothing... But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

1951 3100 350 TBI Gallery Toddzilla... "$old"


Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 91
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 91
Thats a great looking truck.
The picture with the for sale sign looks like it belongs on a calander.

Happy bolting and keep us updated.

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 385
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 385
That looks a lot like my 195? Chevy 1 Ton Duallie Dump except yours seems to have more ground clearance, and bigger wheels.

I'm not sure exactly what year mine is. The cab came from a 1952 3/4 ton, and the engine from a 1954.

Should be lots of fun to start with a runner. Did yours have a muffler on it when you got it?


195? Chevy 3800 dump truck
1973 Chevy C30 cab and chassis
1987 Suburban 3/4 ton 6.2L Diesel
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
great truck and price, enjoy

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 684
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 684
Nice truck, and a very good buy. I see it has a later 235.
Cleon


Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the nearer the end the faster it goes.




1949 Chevy 6400
1931 Chevy Firetruck



Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 197
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 197
I think I have the twin to that truck...... Which I am going to drop it down with standard 16in wheels. When I put them on I dropped the truck over 2in all around which I think gives it a nicer stance. I just have to pick up a couple more tires.

Last edited by Jackyl; 01/05/2008 5:51 PM.
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 11
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 11
thanks everyone
cleon what lets you know with the picture that this is a 235 engine. again i dont know a whole lot about these so teach us

jackyl i would like to see pics with the 16 inch wheels. the bolt pattern is the same as most dually truck correct? I have a guy who might have a set of 19.5 wheels i was going to try on it.


53 3800 "GRETCHEN" sold
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/561961050sRrxhL
70 Oldsmobile Delta 88 custom
75 gmc 3/4 ton 4x4
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,186
Hey Brian,
That is a cool truck, I really like the little dualies. I'm in the process of fixing up "Big Orange" as we speak. I recently found and purchased a '53 1 ton dualie with a 235. I was going to part out but when I got it home and looked at it I can't bring myself to do it. This truck is way to nice to part out especially as it has no rust and a hoist! I should probably just find somebody who wants it. Fix yours up and have some fun with it. You can tell your engine is a 235 because of the side cover and the valve cover. The 235 was an option in the '53 models if my memory serves me correctly. :crazy:

Bruce


My Trucks
Stuff I Collect
If it doesn't matter if you win or loose.......why do they keep score?
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
Welcome Brian -- as you can tell, only the coolest of Stovebolters are allowed to own AD 1-tons wink So welcome to the elite!

The guys are correct about the engine -- the tell-tale signs of the later (post-1954) 235 are how the valve cover attaches -- four screws on the flange versus two acorn nuts on the top of the valve cover, along with the pushrod cover that go all the way up around the spark plugs. Prior to 1954, the earlier model 235 (the splasher 235 developed for the war trucks) was optional for the 1-tons and bigger trucks -- my '49 3800 still has it's original splasher 235 that the original owner special ordered with the truck.

Anyway, you got a great deal on that truck! And welcome to the Stovebolt Community! You're family now so don't be a stranger! And be sure to check out all of the web site, not just the forums.

Regards,
John


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 684
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 684
Brian, John all ready answered your question but I will respond. He is right about the rocker arm cover and the short side plate as being a dead give away to it being a full pressure 235.
Again it looks like you did well. Congratulations
Cleon


Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the nearer the end the faster it goes.




1949 Chevy 6400
1931 Chevy Firetruck



Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,144
19.5 wheels off somethimg like a older stepvan or motor home will unlikely to be a direct fit they will be 10 stud. you have 8 studs and possibly a smaller hub some of the newer freighliner,international, and fords midranges use a 8 stud 19.5 pattern but the studs are heavier so measure carefully before purchasing wheels.

Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 11
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 11
thanks to everyone. never been so welcomed on a site before.
I got to drive "Gretchen" home yesterday. She was running fine till the old fuel filter clog right up. Changed it and drove around a little while, runs and drives very well. Noticed a little more rust in the floor boards so I found a guy with 3 cabs that he says are very solid with doors and windows. Going to look saturday willlet everyone know if he has alot of parts worth looking at.

thanks again we really feel welcome


53 3800 "GRETCHEN" sold
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/561961050sRrxhL
70 Oldsmobile Delta 88 custom
75 gmc 3/4 ton 4x4
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 382
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 382
Hey Brian & Krystal, let me put in my own "WOW"! What a deal you got...will be looking forward to seeing your progress.

Welcome aboard!


1948 Chevrolet 1-Ton Grain Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery SOLD
More pix in Photobucket

"A Man & His Truck--It's a Beautiful Thing!"

"You're never 100% ready, you're just next"....Ty Murray

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0