| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,142 Posts1,056,491 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 3 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 3 | I have a '53 3/4 ton that has the 216 in it. The engine is shot and a friend gave me a 292. After doing some checking and thinking I decided not to use the 292. It is on ebay now and I have been offered a 230 in trade. Does anybody know anything about the 230, cause I don't. What would be the chance it would drop in to replace the 216?
Derek | | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,223 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 5,223 | Zero, the 194,230,250,292 all use different motor mounts, transmissions & mounts, driveline, etc... You will have to make or buy everything, nothing will interchange with the older 216,235's. Joe | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | A 230 is a different engine altogether. You'll need to change bell housings, make engine mounts, convert to 12 volts etc. A direct swap will be a 235 or a 261, Scott | | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 3 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 3 | Thanks for the quick replys. Sounds like I would be in the same boat then with the 292. I will keep looking for a 235 or 261.
Thanks again. Derek | | | | | Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 438 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 438 | Flexjet cant come up with the engine on ebay. Please post the number. Thanks
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle."-Abraham Lincoln
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 3 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Sep 2007 Posts: 3 | Been looking on ebay and found a 235, the guy won't ship though and I'm not going to New Jersey to pick it up. If anybody knows where one is in the South Texas area is, I can do that. My number is 361 571 2496 or [email protected] | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | Got a 54 235 big truck engine in mid Iowa. Road trip? Scott | | | | | Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 70 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2007 Posts: 70 | I have a 235 in Colorado I'd sell you out of my truck (daily driver). At least I think it is a 235. How do I tell a 216 from a 235? Do all the 216's have the two "acorn" nuts on top of the valve cover? The 235's have the four bolts on the edge...? | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 | Easiest way to tell them apart is the valve side cover. It is all the way up around the spark plugs on a 216 and only aboyt 5-6" tall on a 235. And also the 216 did use two center valve cover studs and nuts but adaptors are sometimes used to keep that look on later 235 engines as when an Offy aluminum cover is used. Mine is that way so the valve cover check is not always correct unless you know the rest of the story.
Not nearly as confusing as it sounds once you get the hang of it. | | |
| |
| |