The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (papas52, Shade Baby, 2 invisible), 91 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,087
Posts1,056,340
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#28207 11/21/2004 4:08 AM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
Hi folks.
My 52 3/4 ton GMC pick up will run down the highway at up to about 3500 rpm (as much as I dare). It's got a 235 straight 6 made a few years AFTER this truck was built, but it does well.

My question is concerning a bad vibration that really prevents me from wanting to go faster than 65, even though physically I can. I just avoid it because of the vibration.

I started out thinking the 235 may not be a very well balanced type of motor, but that theory went out the window when I stepped on the clutch at 70 mph and watched the rpms drop to 1000. The vibration is definitely speed-related and not engine-related. This caused me even more concern.

It almost felt like it could be coming from the front wheel bearings. What are the thoughts from some of you more experienced Stovebolt owners? What would be a good way of isolating and fixing the vibration...or is beyond 65 mph the design limit before these things shake themselves apart?
Thanks...


52 GMC 3/4 ton pickup
68 Big Block Vette
68 455 Firebird
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
How old are the tires? Have they sat in the same spot for a long time? Bias ply tires are known for flat spots after sitting too long. Does the vibration come up through the steering wheel or can you feel it more in the seat and body? Wheel bearings don't usually cause vibration but tires and drivetrain are the usuals that do.
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 9
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 9
Yeah I would check the tires,and the u-joints,and the pinion to make sure the nut hasn't worked loose.
I'm betting the tires have a flat spot,or a bent belt,or just need balanced.


49 Chevy 3600
67 GMC 3/4 ton
71 GMC 1/2,daily driver
http://www.sofnet.com/~eaglefeather/

When I die I want to die in my sleep,not screaming in terror like his passengers
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 384
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 384
Hmmmmmmm--

Little jimmi 228 replaced with larger displacement Chebby 235 and the whole truck starts vibratin at speed. Prolly a lesson in this for GMC truck owners. Need to be careful when replacin those jimmi motors with the more popular chevy engine--tear up ur runnin gear with the more capable higher speed motor. grin

I'd check that front end--tie rod ends and king pins--might want to look at those motor mounts too--drive shaft and pinon gearing--beef up and fix whatever you need to--gud motor you got there--good idea to replace those little 228/248 engines with a stout little 235. :p


Buzz'n Half Dozen
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 975
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 975
Did you do the king pins? Bad king pins with flat spotted tires and tie rod ends that are sort of bad all add up to a terrible ride over 50...it does on mine.

But start easy....check the tires. Santa told me she had tires in her sleigh for me this year....and two more rims too....that Santa...she's quite a gal..... grin

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
Tires are a year old and are modern steel belted radials. 265/75R-16's I believe. They are mounted on 2002 GMC 8-lug chrome wheels with wheel spacers. So it isn't the tires.

Truth is though, the ancient "schoolbus" tires this thing had before were a lot worse. They vibrated above 50 mph and didn't corner worth a darn.

So there is an improvement. Maybe it's my Kingpins then???


52 GMC 3/4 ton pickup
68 Big Block Vette
68 455 Firebird
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 687
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 687
HRD,

You might wanna think twice about running that 235 at 3500 sustained rpms. You're reaching up close to the sustained RPM limit for that engine in stock form.

I'd be scared to death to run my 292 at 3500 rpms for more than a minute or two. Literally! eek wink

Keep the revs down and enjoy a long engine life.

-ftyler

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
Didn't mention the driveline in your post. If it is the old torque tube set up it might be a worn bushing in the tube. Prefer it be something else frankly.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 117
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 117
Jack the rear up and run it up to vibrating speed...see if it will do it sitting still. that should tell you if it is the driveline.

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
After 50 years, it's entirely possible that something could be bent - like the driveshaft or an axle. I'd check the wear parts first, then the hard parts if the problem is still there. My old daily driver Talon had a driveline shimmy that I couldn't get rid of for anything, so I feel your pain.

BTW, 3500 RPM sustained sounds like a lot for a 235. There's a reason why the old '50s drag racers dropped GMC engines into Chevy cars...


Get a REAL truck, get a GMC! www.oldgmctrucks.com
1954 GMC De Luxe COE
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
If it isn't the tires, then I'd definitely check out the joints on the driveshaft.

I drove a '84 oldsmobile, rwd one time... between 55-60mph or so it would start shaking like the devil... then it'd be fine... my pop crawled under there and the joint on the driveshaft towards the rear going into the rear axle was all beat up - it was just slap worn out. Replaced it, went back to driving it, no more problems.

It is something to check anyway,

-W

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
My '55 1st has a serious shake between 50 and 55. Its nice and smooth up to 50 and nice as smooth past 55.

New radials on new wheels less than 10,000 miles ago. New shackles and pins this past weekend. With the exception of the drag link, all the steering seems tight. The kingpins are good and tight. Wheels bearings were all replaced a couple years ago.

I feel it in the body and the doors shake bad enough I either speed up or slow down. I also feel it in the steering, but have never decided if its because the wheels are shaking, or if the body is shaking the steering column.

When I was a kid my dad had a Ford f-250 4x4 that would do the same thing, and replacing the parts I'd associate with the kingpens fixed it. He owned that thing long enought that I replaced them a couple times.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
Another thing which might not apply if you don't have them on your tires are those Port-A-Walls (also called toilet seats or falsies) which are fake white walls which fit under the wheel lip. I have them on my truck and they are getting old. One is split and I often envision them lifting away from the tires as I drive. Maybe not but worth a try if you have them. Mine are comung off in the Spring, too ratty.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,067
That's strange...3500 sustained rpm will blow up a 235 Chevy straight 6???

In 1953, Chevy put the 235 in the first Corvette. Same engine, but different cam and induction. Still, same basic engine, same rotating assembly.
They were rated at 150 hp @ 4200 rpm, and in '54 and '55, 155 hp @ 4200 rpm.

Not a high revver, however, it appears that they are designed to live above 3500 rpm. I don't know why that would blow it up in the truck but not in a C1 Corvette. :confused:


52 GMC 3/4 ton pickup
68 Big Block Vette
68 455 Firebird

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0