The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Gdads51, Otto Skorzeny, TexasA&M48Truck, 5cameo8, TUTS 59, Youngin' Tut 59, Gray_Ghost), 93 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,116
Posts1,056,599
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#240502 09/09/2007 5:19 PM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
Alright I posted on acid cleaning my tank and now want to hear about experiences with different types of tank sealers. Looking through the searches Ive heard mention of POR15 and Red Kote primarily. I remember my dad using some (dont know what?) on his motorcycle tanks several years ago and it flaked off in sheets. It could have been a cheap sealer or he did it wrong.

What kind of sealer have you used and to what success? Also after acid cleaning it, do you have to use a metal prep of some sort before sealing? Or can I go straight from acid to sealer?

Thanks, Jeff


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
#240503 09/09/2007 7:08 PM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 25
O
New Guy
New Guy
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 25
Mine was leaking from the seam along the bottom and I used POR-15. It comes as a kit- a cleaner/degreaser, metal prep and sealer. It is a bit time consuming but they warn you to do all the steps as they describe them. It took me the better part of a weekend, but eight months later it's holding up fine.
Kim

#240504 09/09/2007 9:12 PM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
I,ve had them coated at professional shops & it seems to always come loose & clog things up.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
#240505 09/09/2007 9:22 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Most of the biker's I know use(d) Kreem. It will, as will all of them, peel if not put on correctly. I used it on my FLP tank and never had a problem. The key is to follow the manufacturer's directions and to make sure the inside of the tank is DRY before putting the sealer in. I've not used POR-15 but I've heard good things about it. I personally prefer Red Kote. Another tip is to buy more than the recommended amount. It spreads quicker, more evenly and with better coverage plus you'll have extra in case you ever need it.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
#240506 09/11/2007 5:12 PM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,867
Well I went the POR-15 route. Ordered some Metal Ready, Marine Clean and sealer delivered for less then a 100$. Heres their website if anyones interested.

http://www.por15.com

And heres a link explaining the process. Thanks again to brjr51 for providing this link.

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FuelTankRestoration.html

Boy, my credit card has been recieving a work out lately... frown When its all done I ought to be grinning pretty good! grin Thanks, Jeff


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton
#240507 09/11/2007 10:19 PM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
used the POR15 in my tank 7 years ago and still doing great. There is several threads on this if you do a search. Someone once said the POR15 would peel and thats why it was not used in the aircraft industry but after doing quite a bit of reading I find that it contains certain "ingredients" and that it does not crack and peel. For my .02 cent I like it and it has held up well. It does take a little time. It took me all day on a saturday and once coated it has to dry/cure. But for about $50 (7 years ago) it was the right thing to do and still going.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
#240508 09/12/2007 12:09 AM
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 101
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 101
I will have to look to see what I put in but it ran 25 a pint it took two cans for my tank I did put multiple coats in it. And It has held up great so far.

#240509 09/12/2007 2:32 AM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 364
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 364
I used the kit from Eastwood Co. and after about a year it's holding up fine. As mentioned, follow all instructions to the letter.


Keith
If it were easy they'd have grade schoolers doing it!
#240510 09/12/2007 11:36 AM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 641
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 641
you need to keep gas in the tank after sealing or the sealer will dry out and peel the gas keeps it soft

#240511 09/12/2007 4:07 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Quote
Originally posted by 32fire2:
you need to keep gas in the tank after sealing or the sealer will dry out and peel the gas keeps it soft
'Taint that way with Kreem or Red Kote. They're supposed to be hard. If they soften they are failing. ohwell


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
#240512 09/12/2007 4:36 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 204
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 204
I had a place here in Connecticut dispose of the stale gas, clean the tank, repair a few pin holes that had developed where the tar paper was under the straps (only spot on the tank with any rust), seal it and guarantee it for 20 years for $147, seemed like an OK deal to me. The sealant is hard, and has a rough texture to it. I now feel comfortable I should not have to worry about the tank for a long time.
Mike


My old truck's still running good, my ticker's ticking like they say it should, I got supper in the oven, a good woman's loving, and even my bad days aint that bad...Yeah, I'm a lucky man!
1953 Chevy 3100 Shortbed

1965 C-30 Panel Truck
1963 C-20 Long/Fleet Pick-up California Black Plate

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0