Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
8 members (55shaker, 1946chevytruck, Otto Skorzeny, Wayne67vert, Wheelie, Shaffer's1950, 1955 1 Series, 1 invisible),
119
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,114 Posts1,056,605 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 | Alright I posted on acid cleaning my tank and now want to hear about experiences with different types of tank sealers. Looking through the searches Ive heard mention of POR15 and Red Kote primarily. I remember my dad using some (dont know what?) on his motorcycle tanks several years ago and it flaked off in sheets. It could have been a cheap sealer or he did it wrong.
What kind of sealer have you used and to what success? Also after acid cleaning it, do you have to use a metal prep of some sort before sealing? Or can I go straight from acid to sealer?
Thanks, Jeff | | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 25 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 25 | Mine was leaking from the seam along the bottom and I used POR-15. It comes as a kit- a cleaner/degreaser, metal prep and sealer. It is a bit time consuming but they warn you to do all the steps as they describe them. It took me the better part of a weekend, but eight months later it's holding up fine. Kim | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | I,ve had them coated at professional shops & it seems to always come loose & clog things up. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | Most of the biker's I know use(d) Kreem. It will, as will all of them, peel if not put on correctly. I used it on my FLP tank and never had a problem. The key is to follow the manufacturer's directions and to make sure the inside of the tank is DRY before putting the sealer in. I've not used POR-15 but I've heard good things about it. I personally prefer Red Kote. Another tip is to buy more than the recommended amount. It spreads quicker, more evenly and with better coverage plus you'll have extra in case you ever need it.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2006 Posts: 1,867 | Well I went the POR-15 route. Ordered some Metal Ready, Marine Clean and sealer delivered for less then a 100$. Heres their website if anyones interested. http://www.por15.com And heres a link explaining the process. Thanks again to brjr51 for providing this link. http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FuelTankRestoration.html Boy, my credit card has been recieving a work out lately...  When its all done I ought to be grinning pretty good!  Thanks, Jeff | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | used the POR15 in my tank 7 years ago and still doing great. There is several threads on this if you do a search. Someone once said the POR15 would peel and thats why it was not used in the aircraft industry but after doing quite a bit of reading I find that it contains certain "ingredients" and that it does not crack and peel. For my .02 cent I like it and it has held up well. It does take a little time. It took me all day on a saturday and once coated it has to dry/cure. But for about $50 (7 years ago) it was the right thing to do and still going. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2007 Posts: 101 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2007 Posts: 101 | I will have to look to see what I put in but it ran 25 a pint it took two cans for my tank I did put multiple coats in it. And It has held up great so far. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 364 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 364 | I used the kit from Eastwood Co. and after about a year it's holding up fine. As mentioned, follow all instructions to the letter.
Keith If it were easy they'd have grade schoolers doing it! | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 641 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 641 | you need to keep gas in the tank after sealing or the sealer will dry out and peel the gas keeps it soft | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | Originally posted by 32fire2: you need to keep gas in the tank after sealing or the sealer will dry out and peel the gas keeps it soft 'Taint that way with Kreem or Red Kote. They're supposed to be hard. If they soften they are failing. 
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 204 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 204 | I had a place here in Connecticut dispose of the stale gas, clean the tank, repair a few pin holes that had developed where the tar paper was under the straps (only spot on the tank with any rust), seal it and guarantee it for 20 years for $147, seemed like an OK deal to me. The sealant is hard, and has a rough texture to it. I now feel comfortable I should not have to worry about the tank for a long time. Mike My old truck's still running good, my ticker's ticking like they say it should, I got supper in the oven, a good woman's loving, and even my bad days aint that bad...Yeah, I'm a lucky man! 1953 Chevy 3100 Shortbed1965 C-30 Panel Truck 1963 C-20 Long/Fleet Pick-up California Black Plate
| | |
| |