The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Shade Baby, LAROKE, Leo, John Dlugos), 222 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,182
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#229659 03/18/2007 9:00 PM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 149
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 149
Ok guys and gals......
Two trucks and four wiper motors... and it seems that none of the wiper motors seem to want to work correctly....... When I started none of them would work at all.... So after opening them up..and cleaning out all the hard caked grease grunge..and re-lubing the paddle leather... so it's now all soft and supple.... and re-assembling the motors.... I hook them up to the vacuum line off the manifold.... and turn them on, ther work very well.... cycling back and forth....... BUT after re-installing thhem into the truck..and hooking up the wipers....... I again turn the motor on...and the wipers swipe one direction and stop.... I can get them to cycle back only with help.........

It's almost like they want to go a little bit further before cycling back ... What gives?
I've worked on lots of vacuum wiper systems over the years...and never had this problem before..... so I come to the polulace of the bolt..... for their collective wisdom.....

Michael


\'48 chev 2-ton boom truck (Boomer)
'49 Chev 2-ton flat bed
'65 Chev 35ft school bus
'88 GMC 6500
'72 Superior 26ft class "A" coach
'50 Farmall "M"
'71 MGB GT
'68 Austin-Healey Sprite
'65 Austin-Healey Sprite
and various other odd British cars
and lots of old radios.....

Although we know what the speed of light is..... What I want to know is... How fast is the speed of DARK??
#229660 03/18/2007 10:30 PM
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 155
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 155
I've just finished rebuilding a couple of the motors
and since changing to Lubriplate Assembly grease, I've
eliminated all the slow problems...Remember when u lube the paddle you also need to lube the tub in rides in..

Also with the Lubriplate it only takes a little over an inch of vacuum to run the wipers, which translates to always working when needed...

Geoff
49 Chev 4400
52 GMC 350
55 Chev 3800
52? JD420C w/JD90 Loader
37 D4 Cat


Geoff


68 GMC 3800
56 JD420C w/JD90 Loader
#229661 03/18/2007 10:49 PM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
There is a lot of friction between dry wiper blades and dry glass. Try squirting the windshield with a garden hose when you test run the wipers.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 82
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 82
Michael,

I go with cletis on this one.

It sounds like you have correctly serviced the units, and if the vacuum lines are in good shape and are not cracked and leaking, and you have checked the wipers for good operation by manually moving them throughout their range, then its time to wet the windshield.

Let us know what happens,


Richard
58 3104
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
As I understand it, you say the motor runs fine out of the truck, but when installed it slows to a stop.

I agree with Cletis's recommendation to reduce the friction between the blades and the glass. Don't forget to reduce the friction within the linkage, too. As I recall, mine is a rather low tech assembly having only bushings, no bearings, at the joints. Make sure you've reduced friction between the motor and the blades by lubricating those joints.

The only thing left is the vacuum level and your motor. Is it possible to have vacuum restricted through the knob? You have good vacuum on the engine side but maybe crud can build up in that little valve and starve the motor.

Just a thought.

Bill

#229664 03/20/2007 12:54 AM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 96
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 96
I kinda had the same problem. I got some WD40 and spray cleaned all the linkages under the dash.Then I used a lubricating spray. This solved the one way and stop problem for mine.Oh ya I removed the radio and the speaker grill to make the job easier.It was worth doing.

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 149
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 149
Well I ran the wipers last night in the rain....and the problem still exists.. so wet windshield didn't fix the prob...and other thoughts?
Michael


\'48 chev 2-ton boom truck (Boomer)
'49 Chev 2-ton flat bed
'65 Chev 35ft school bus
'88 GMC 6500
'72 Superior 26ft class "A" coach
'50 Farmall "M"
'71 MGB GT
'68 Austin-Healey Sprite
'65 Austin-Healey Sprite
and various other odd British cars
and lots of old radios.....

Although we know what the speed of light is..... What I want to know is... How fast is the speed of DARK??
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 284
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 284
Just a thought. could it be the springs are to tight and holding the wipers down on the windshield(if it is the same set up as my 42)


The crew that works on the \'42 --Sara, Hannah and Abby
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 12
O
Junior Member
Junior Member
O Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 12
I had a similar problem with my 48 (I switched to electric ) they were hesitant to return ..examining the linkage and the bushing/gromet ,a pressed fiber sort of thing,it was wore out ..only way I could think to fix it without duct tape ...took an old credit card and made 2 little pieces, kinda like a bread tie , sprayed them with silicone ,put them on
in opposite directions and solved my problem ...thats been 8 years ago ...take out the radio and grille ...good luck

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Graflexmaster, you also mentioned that the wipers seem to want to go a little farther but couldn't. Take the windshield wipers OFF and see if things work alright without them on. I'm not sure about your particular linkage but could one of the arms be turned upside down causing a difference in length? Just trying to help.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
How good are the vacuum levels of the engine? A worn engine creates less vacuum.

Achipmunk has a good point too.

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 149
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 149
Hey builder....
Well I was also wondering about the vacuum level, and hung a guage on the line last night... The vacuum reading off the wiper port on the manifold is 16in and rock steady at idle..... Which also tells me the engine is in excellent shape..smile
Not bad for an old babbit-pounder 235...... grin

michael


\'48 chev 2-ton boom truck (Boomer)
'49 Chev 2-ton flat bed
'65 Chev 35ft school bus
'88 GMC 6500
'72 Superior 26ft class "A" coach
'50 Farmall "M"
'71 MGB GT
'68 Austin-Healey Sprite
'65 Austin-Healey Sprite
and various other odd British cars
and lots of old radios.....

Although we know what the speed of light is..... What I want to know is... How fast is the speed of DARK??
#229671 03/22/2007 11:39 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 92
N
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
N Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 92
Another thing you might want to look at is whether you have the right arms and blades on the truck. A lot of times the arms and blades where switched to a more modern setup. The original vacuum arms and blades are very light and not a lot of spring pressure. The blades are connected to a single kinda swivel joint in the middle and flop back and forth. Look in a vender catalog for the correct year and you may find a different type of arm and blade then you have on your truck.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 Deluxe Cab
Gallery Page
Webshots photos

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0