The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Patharr, KEVINSKI, 1 invisible), 236 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,230
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 738
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 738
Here I sit wondering about crate engines. I know that I can order all kinds of v-8 engines from tons of sources. The real question is who are the engine builders for the inline 6's? I want to find a mildy built 235 that is ready to go out of the box.

So folks, where are they? I would like to find a place that will make one to suit my needs and budget.

Thanks in advance,

Kyle


"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton

My Machine
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
Kyle,
Check this site. I don't think I saw any 235's, just 230, 250 and 292. Don't know if you're set on a 235 or not.


Steve

'49 3800
'52 3600
'57 3100

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Call Jaspers. They will custom build one or yours.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 700
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 700
Kyle,

I searched high and low on the Internet for a 235 crate engine and was unable to find one. Finally I took my 1957 real pos to Cylinder Head Rebuilders in Orlando. They did a great job in restoring it for me although it was a pretty iffy job.

If I recall, Jaspers told me that they would rebuild "my" long block, the same as a few other rebuilders. Whatever you do stay away from some outfit called remanufactured.com. They have a cell phone operation, and basically take your money and start calling around to find an engine for you.

Carter has long and short blocks in at times. Call them to find out what's available and what is coming in. I don't know if they have turnkey crate engines or not. Good luck to you as believe it or not the 235's seem to be getting pretty scarce.


My 1941 in the Stovebolt Gallery
My Photo Album


But I tried, didn't I? ... At least I did that. RP McMurphy
The past belongs to the future...but only the present can preserve it.
Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is a nobler art of leaving things undone.
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 4,095


Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.
1954 3100 Chevy truck
In the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
See more pix
1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
F
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
I saw a genuine, factory, never installed full pressure 235 crate engine sell once.. a guy had loaded up on stuff out of a GM dealership that went tits up in the early 70's and had a boatload of New, Old Stock stuff.

The 235 sold for big league cash. Barrett Jackson kind of money.

Your best bet, unless you come from an affluent family or are a world famous cardiologist or neurosurgeon would be to go with a reman engine, or take yours to somebody and have it rebuilt.


an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 2,074
I'd call the major machine shops in your area, never know what you'll find. Also most have a large core pile from which they could find your 235 and build then exchange with yours.


It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
1946 1/2-Ton Chevy
1953 Chevy 3/4-ton Factory Stakebed
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
What would be the definition of a crate engine. If a person bought a rebuilt 235 from Jasper, would that be considered a 'crate' engine. Does the engine have to come in a crate.

Could you buy a 'pallet' engine? :confused:

What is a crate engine? :confused:

Stuart

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 684
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 684
I have always assumed that a crate engine was new from the factory, Mayb I assumed wrongly.


Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the nearer the end the faster it goes.




1949 Chevy 6400
1931 Chevy Firetruck



Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
I agree, a crate engine should not have a single part that was ever on a running engine before.
All entirely new, including block.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
F
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
Quote
Originally posted by 31,32,33:
I have always assumed that a crate engine was new from the factory, Mayb I assumed wrongly.
I second that.

When someone says 'crate' engine, I take that to mean a new engine from the factory, not a rebuild or 're-manufactured' engine.


an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
checked on a 235 rebuild at Advance Auto last week for a friend of mine. The engine is $1274 plus $175 core charge if you do not have one to exchange. This is not a performance engine just a rebuild. Comes with one year warrantee if I remember correctly. The engine reman company is Recon which is also where Auto Zone gets some of their engines. This is just as info, not an endorsement.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 926
I think the definition of "crate motor" has been knowingly,or not,warped by some of the newcomers to the automotive world,just like the word "restored",which means to make as original. Look at what some of these characters call "RESTORED" cars and trucks. A '49 Chevy pick up with a 350/350,9" rear end ,4 wheel disc brakes and power everything isn't RESTORED-rebuilt,upgraded,customized,okay.I can go with any of those,but not restored.
Okay-sermon is over;you have the pulpit now.
Speed


1954 GMC 350
1957 GMC 1/2 ton
1962 Chevy C-30
1952 Chevy 6400 dump bed project truck
'98 Harley FLSTC
'66 Pontiac Catalina
'76 Chevy 1 ton Duallie
'84 Bronco II
'78 Dodge W-200
'81 Toyota 4X4 truck
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,517
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,517
Thank you Speed. took the words right from my mouth. The same goes with the words,"factory", and "original" and "stock". While browsing thru ebay one day looking at old trucks,,,its almost a joke the way some people use these words.
Marty

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 54
D
DW Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 54
Just an FYI on the short block, long block, and remanufactured heads from J.C. I emailed them about a year ago and asked if they'd sell a "crate" 235 (I know, I know,...not new, rebuilt and ready to install is what I meant). I specified what I meant by "crate" and they said they could do it. I can't remember exactly what the price was (plus core charge), but it was a little over $2100 and about the same that Jasper was quoting to remanufacture your existing 235.

Dave

Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
I finally deleted the email but about 4 years ago I get an estimate from Jasper's to remanufacture my 235 - complete engine - for approx $1800 plus freight. That freight can be quite a bit for something that heavy unless you get it to one of their authorized dealers.
Jim Carter advertises they have 235's rebuilt but I think their lead-time is out 2-3 months.


Professional Novice
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
The "crate" engine originated at GM with their new engine program called Target Master. Latter they changed the name to Goodwrench engines. They were new engines packaged in a wooden crate. Soon many companies started putting a crate around their remans & calling them crate engines. There also was some counterfeit Goodwrench engines out there & some were sold to the U.S. gov. before they got in a heap of trouble.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0