The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Robert Crandall, Ponchogl, Otto Skorzeny, 78buckshot, Peggy M, D B Cooper), 126 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,144
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 18
P
Apprentice
Apprentice
P Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 18
Anyone have the new standard chrome bumpers from LMC at $99.95? Any opinion on the quality versus the triple nickle premium at $149.95?

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
I would go for the premium one. Cheap chrome doesn,t last. You can get by with it if you keep it waxed all the time.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Bills Speed Shop has advertised in Old Cars Weekly for sometime and offers bumpers for our AD trucks for $120. I spoke to them not long ago and these are NOT cheap ones from over the pond. The guy I spoke to says, naturally, that they are of good quality and warranted for 5 years. I think I will try them soon. ***Do we have a stovebolter around Ohio that knows of them or that can "drop by their shop" and check them out for all of us? Their phone # is 330-832-9403. OH, along this line I also got my new LMC winter catalog yesterday and as expected most prices have gone up. The items I checked were up around $5 or $6 on each item in the $20-$60 range. That would be about 10% on most and more on others.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
I have one of the cheaper chrome ones on the front of my 52. The price was right, so I'm not complaining. First I sanded the rust off the back where it wasn't plated. Then I painted the back silver, and clear coated the entire bumper. That was a few years ago, and it's starting to rust again.

My friend put the stainless bumpers on his 52. He polished them to get them almost as shiny as chrome. The other day he bumped a post. I commented that if his bumper had been chrome, the chrome would have cracked. With stainless you just polish it out.

So I recommend
1. Stainless
2. Triple plate
3. Chrome, but only NOS, which we can't afford.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 18
P
Apprentice
Apprentice
P Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 18
Thanks for the advice!

Anyone know of a source for stainless bumpers for a 1958 3100? All I see available are the earlier years.

Think I will go with the triple nickle chrome.

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 14
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 14
the lmc has some

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 348
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 348
Fred T, where did your get the stainess steel bumpers from? i want to get some for my sub.


1949 SUBURBAN
In the Gallery
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 204
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 204
Achipmunk,
Did you ever order the bumpers from Bills Speed Shop and if so were you happy with them, or did you go with LMC?
Thanks,
Mike


My old truck's still running good, my ticker's ticking like they say it should, I got supper in the oven, a good woman's loving, and even my bad days aint that bad...Yeah, I'm a lucky man!
1953 Chevy 3100 Shortbed

1965 C-30 Panel Truck
1963 C-20 Long/Fleet Pick-up California Black Plate
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 513
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 513
i got the one on the front of my 49, at chevy duty, 2 years ago and am very happy with it, it was about 120.00


1949 Chevy 3600 Flatbed all orginal
1964 gmc 4000
1973 gmc 6000
2005 chevy duramax 4x4
1994 chevy 1500
Trucks are GM and Tractors are Orange

"I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom." - General George S. Patton
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 576
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 576
rock valley has stainless bumpers. they also offer a smoothed bumper that i've been eye ballin. saw their booth at a show they looked good.......dave


1949 Chevrolet 3100

"When this thing hits 88 miles an hour, you're going to see some serious sh%t." -Doc Brown
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 26
B
New Guy
New Guy
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 26
Does anyone make a 55 series 2 stainless bumper?

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
65PanelMike: I have not ordered the bumpers from Bills Speed Shop yet. I have been on a holding pattern due to a couple health issues so its been just "piddling". I have thought about going ahead and ordering them and holding them until I need them to avoid any future price increses. If all goes well I should really make some time up on the panel this summer. I got one pretty good one in some "wheeling and dealing" but I still plan to buy one from Bill's. When I do I will post how it goes.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 553
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 553
Quote
Originally posted by Fred T:
.....So I recommend
1. Stainless
2. Triple plate
3. Chrome, but only NOS, which we can't afford.
Isn't all chrome process consist of triple plate:
I was under the impression that they first copper plate, then nickle plate, then the chrome plate goes on. Am I wrong?

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
there are no laws that define what "triple chrome plating" actually means - just that there are a total of 3 layers of any kind of plating - "triple plate" could be the cheapest version: 1 coat of copper/ 1 coat of nickel/ 1 coat of chrome [always very thin]

normal high quality chroming has the copper and 2 coats of nickel [a semi-bright nickel coat followed by a bright nickel coat], and that's the usual expensive type - I'd expect that "triple nickel" chrome would have had 3 layers of nickel, which is the real corrosion prevention

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 553
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 553
I figured that all chrome has various stages of quality depending on more plating and more polishing before certain plates goes on. So what did Fred T mean with his choice #3? All chrome has some kind of plating beneith it, right?

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
First off I am no plating expert. For 13 years I was supt. at a plant where we did Rotogravure printing on paper using etched printing cylinders. For print cylinders we nickel plated, then copper plated, then etched and last we chrome plated. These print cylinders were "wiped" using a stainless or a blue carbon steel and the chrome would hold up very well....
BUT it all depended on how well the chrome job was done. Did it stay in the tank long enough, was the amps right and was the HARDNESS of the chrome right. We had all kinds of gizmo's to check copper and chrome hardness and when it was not right we could "wipe" the chrome right off a print cylinder. I would doubt, especially foreign made stuff, that they really care and as long as it shines they ship it. Like most things there is more to a process than what meets the eyes but if you want it done right it truly does not cost THAT much more to do a jam up job because the "hard work" is already done before plating.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 677
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 677
Spend the extra $50 and get the triple nickle !!


Some people are like Slinkies, Their not really good for nothing... But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

1951 3100 350 TBI Gallery Toddzilla... "$old"


Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 399
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 399
I just got me a pair of 5 rib alluminum bumpers from Briz. They look like the old 40s Desoto Bumpers.
Pretty sharp and with aluminum you never fight rust again, just polish once in a while.

Frank

P.S. they are about $190 each, but probably the last set of bumpers you ever will buy.
http://www.brizbumpers.com/gallery.html


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0