The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (3B, 55shaker, Gdads51), 103 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,367
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 196
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 196
Four Blind Mice,
Four Blind Mice,
See how they run,
See how they run,
I put the bait in the Victor trap,
And I hear them go clackity clack clack,
Four Dead Mice,
Four Dead Mice.

It seems that 'Jake the snake' that lives in my garage (and my basement) has NOT been doing his job. I was cleaning more boxes out of the garage and in doing so, ran a live mouse out of one of them. He scurried none other than BACK into the garage. So I declared war on him (them). I also noticed that day that they had eaten a corner of the cardboard covering the gas tank just above the rocker on the driver's side. Messin with Ole Booger is like goin from preachin to meddlin. I didn't want to use poison because then I'd have dead mice who knows where.

I bought 4 plain ole Victor traps and set them out the first day. It seems 3 of the 4 were just apetizers for them. They licked them clean without springing them. One of them however did SOME good (I think). I got up the next morning and could only find three traps. The fourth one either caught a mouse by the tail or Jake got a hold of it. One of them drug it off somewhere.

Today, however, I put them out again and got 3 for 3 in the traps I set. One on the workbench, one on the floor, and one in the cab of Ole Booger under the seat. I disposed of those when I got home and re-baited them before I left for the evening. I got one more from the one on the floor when I got home this evening. YES, I'm a killin machine now. Once I get them all outta here, I plan on keeping them baited and around the three places. They ain't welcome in my garage with Ole Booger.

Rance


66 C10 FS/LB 292/4-spd manual (I also enjoy Hang Gliding)
I'm too sexy for my hair, that's why it isn't there
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,078
Authorized Pest
Authorized Pest
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,078
What did you use for bait? We tried the original-thinking piece of cheese first (in our garage last winter). Then we tried peanut butter as somebody suggested. Didn't work either. My sister had left some of that squirt cheese in a can here ... so we tried that. That did the trick.

But I think you'd need to catch 'em pretty fast with the squirt cheese. I suppose once it hardens (and it really does), it might come off as easy as the "original cheese" piece.

Good job on catching them, tho. I was sorting through newspapers in the garage last night and I wondered if I was going to come across a mouse. But I didn't. But I sure did quite when I starting loosing daylight. Take no chances!!

Peg


~ Peggy M
1949 Chevrolet 3804
"Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship
In the Gallery
"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 688
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 688
Hey is Jake the Snake still alive? :p

You might have more mice than you think if Jake can't keep up! :mad:

Just think about this.........
My Wife Robin59 has a few cats (20) that she is trying to find homes for.....

Just a thought grin

Cliff59


Deluxe \'52, Savoy \'54 Apache59
"She may not be the youngest girl at the ball, but she can still turn a head or two."
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
Mice cant resist butter butter... but you have to rub it all over the trigger... and set the trap to snap easily... because they will sit there and lick it off...


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 586
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 586
Reminds me of when my sister in law had mice in the cellar.She would catch the mouse then throw the trap away with the mouse.Told me she had to keep buying new traps LMAO.


Wanted Good Woman:
Must be able to cook , clean , sew , tune engines and polish trucks. Must have old Stovebolt and garage. Please send picture of old Stovebolt and garage.
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 196
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 196
Peggy, I used peanut butter. The first batch I didn't put on too good or very much. You got to jam it in the hole where the trigger is. Sometimes they can still lick it out but eventually they DO get caught. I believe putting more on there helps too.

Gluing the dog food to the trigger? That's a hoot! grin Sounds like it might work though.

Update: I checked them this morning and again this afternoon. The two I could get to (on the bench and under Ole Booger's seat) still had the peanut butter on them. That's a good sign. I'll be checking the one on the garage floor later on when I can get to it.

About Jake, I've only seen the tail end of him crawling back into the woodwork. His skins are almost 6' long. About 20" from his tail he is about the diameter of a quarter or more. I hope he didn't get caught by the first trap that 'crawled away'.

Rance
[Edit:] Just checked the third trap. Someone has been licking on it but I must have interrupted him. Looks like there's still one lurker left.


66 C10 FS/LB 292/4-spd manual (I also enjoy Hang Gliding)
I'm too sexy for my hair, that's why it isn't there
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 483
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 483
You need more snakes.I've got a 4-5ft long bull snake in my garage and he keeps them under control.Scares the S#it out of me if I'm out there and he find one, they are restrictors you know and when he finds one it's a comotion, I mean to tellya. Sometimes wont see him for months.But I know he's on the job.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
I like the traps that smacks their little jaws shut to but my wife says that is being cruel. So, what does she prefer? She has a real old trap that the mice/mouse go into and it flips them over into water and drowns them. Beats any darn thing I ever seen? ME cruel, hehe, go figure. wink


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,987
Sometimes it helps to knot a short piece of string through that hole in the trigger, and then smear the peanut butter on. As they're eating off the peanut butter, they will also start chewing (and tugging) on the string, which will help spring the trap.


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
this might help

For Hire


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 641
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 641
beef jerkey wired to the trigger then set some dog food around the trap i caught 3 in one trap once

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 16
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 16
hey Joker Ive seen that picture before but I must say that was the best application of it I have ever seen... made me laugh...'will work for beer'.


one
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 196
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 196
Well, let's make that FIVE Blind/Dead mice. Got another one yesterday from under the seat. I think I'm gonna keep one under there for a loooooooong tme. grin


66 C10 FS/LB 292/4-spd manual (I also enjoy Hang Gliding)
I'm too sexy for my hair, that's why it isn't there
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 179
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 179
I use raisins to bait traps with pretty good luck. Mash it on to the trigger so they have to tug on it to get it. Apparently I need more traps. Found one floating in my drain pan today when I went to empty the oil from an oil change a couple days ago. Yuk.


Joe McNeel

http://mcneelnet.com/~jmcneel/59.html
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 27
6
New Guy
New Guy
6 Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 27
haha great post joker.


Appreciate what you have, work for what you don't
~~~~~~
My \'65 C10 350
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 196
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 196
I havn't seen a mouse (in a trap) in weeks. grin And the trap on the workbench still has 2-week old PB in it. I still want to try supergluing jerky to the trap. I'm happy as a pig in slop... concerning the mouse population that is.


66 C10 FS/LB 292/4-spd manual (I also enjoy Hang Gliding)
I'm too sexy for my hair, that's why it isn't there
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Was there some time/space warp I missed. This post is Spoon tripe. Where are the police when you need them. :mad:


Stuart

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I worked for a plumbing supplier a few years ago and was in the breakroom toasting a bagel.on the shelf above the toaster was a jar of skippy peanut butter.The toaster popped and I opted for the peanut butter.It smelled a little funny but looked OK,tasted kinda like peanut skins but I was hungry so I ate it anyways.Just as I was starting on the second half my boss came in.He looked at my bagel and asked me where I got the peanut butter,when I showed him the jar he started laughing and yelling for the other guys.The peanut butter I used was the same jar of skippy they had been using for over 8 years as bait on mouse traps.That was in 2000 and skippy has followed me through 2 more jobs.They did buy me my own jar of skippy smile

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 196
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 196
Stuart, It's only tripe when it is not affecting YOUR stovebolt. This was a serious issue to me and I got some usable advice. Maybe I'll put it in the Greasy Spoon next time though. wink


66 C10 FS/LB 292/4-spd manual (I also enjoy Hang Gliding)
I'm too sexy for my hair, that's why it isn't there
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
A
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 990
Considering the damage that rodents cause to our vintage vehicles, I consider this thread to be on topic. I could count on one hand the number of trucks that we've worked on that didn't have some rodent attention.

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 687
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 687
Hell I remember my days as a lad, hunting mice (rats) in the barn. I would get out the 22 revolver dad had and load it with rat shot. We stayed in the barn all night 5 or 6 of us with guns telling wild tails and killing rats.


I didn't do it, no one saw me do it, you can't prove anything! "Bart Simpson"
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 308
E
'Bolter
'Bolter
E Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 308
Peggy, I use peanut butter when I set my traps, also if you tie some string to it they will pull on it and set the trap, this keeps them from just licking the trap clean and leaving. Chunky is good also, you can stuff it in the holes so they have to put preasure on it to get the chunks.

Ed

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
I've got RATS now too... I found two of them inside a piece of carpet that i was drying out over my fence... the RAT B@$t@rd$ chewed it all up...


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0