Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,094 Posts1,056,465 Members48,443 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 23 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 23 | Can anybody tell me why there would be 2 sets of signal lights on my 1949 3800? Possibly the grill is not out of a 3800? I've got lights in the grill as well as on the fenders, which set is right? | | | | | Joined: May 2003 Posts: 328 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2003 Posts: 328 | I saw another truck like this just a couple of days ago. My first thought is that it has GMC fenders and a Chevy grill. Perhaps this is the case on your truck.
Phil
Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine and into your brain...that is where crappy ideas come from.
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 23 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 23 | hmmm; I'm hoping, then, that I can remove them; because I don't really like them there. I just want to stay as close to factory as possible. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 | Washinton, From earlier posts I have read, I think the lights in the grill are "parking lights". The only true turn signals are the fender mounted ones.
Stuart. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 314 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 314 | I don't believe the 49 would have come with turn signals from the factory. The ones on the fenders are usually aftermarket add-on's. The ones in the grille would have been parking lights that go off when you turn the headlights on. If there are turn signals in with them, they were changed. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 355 Member | | Member Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 355 | You can convert the parking lights to signal lights quite easily. I took the top-mounted fender lights off and did the conversion. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 23 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 23 | Originally posted by Inky05: I don't believe the 49 would have come with turn signals from the factory. The ones on the fenders are usually aftermarket add-on's. The ones in the grille would have been parking lights that go off when you turn the headlights off. If there are turn signals in with them, they were changed. It wouldn't have been street legal w/out turn signals somewhere on the front, would it? So; the consensus is that these were not factory? | | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 422 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 422 | The AD trucks didn't leave the factory with turn signals until 1954. There was a after market turn signal kit that consist of a lever that clamped to the steering column, two lights for the front and rear. These kits were often installed by dealerships. I converted my turn signals on my 53 to work with the front parking lights and the tail lights with a toggle switch under the dash, I don't like that lever clamped to the steering column.
In the days when there were no turn signals, the arm out the window gave the signal... straight out was for a left turn, arm bent up from the elbow was for a right turn and the arm hanging down by the door was slowing down or stopping. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,682 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,682 | Turn signals were optional equipment on these old trucks, not mandated by whatever agency mandates that sort of thing till the 60's.
As a result, the only lights a '49 Chevy would have had on it when it came out of the factory would be the headlights, and the parking lights in the grill.
"Aftermarket" turn signals were commonly installed right on top of the fenders, altho i've also seen some installed in the fenders just below the headlights.
In my opinion, the best looking option for turn signals in an Advance Design truck is to convert the exsisting parking lights into dual purpose lights used for both parking lights and turn signals.
You'll need to use a dual element bulb to do that.. one element is used for parking light, the other element is the turn signal.
Rear lights are the same story.. the trucks shipped from the factory with a single brake/tail light.. located right above the licence plate mount.
an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,682 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,682 | The '41 thru '46 Art Deco series trucks are often found with those stupid big round turn signals perched on the fenders.. some got put between the headlight and the hood.. others got put on the road side of the headlight bucket (extra ugly, IMO)
I've left 'em on my '46 just because I don't want to hassle with patching the holes in the fenders, and the design of the Art Deco trucks dosen't make the aftermarket turn signals stick out quite so stupid looking.. but on Advance Design trucks, they really look silly.. especially the 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks.
an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 23 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 23 | hmmm; you're right about patching the holes in the fenders, Fumblin. I'm not good enough at the body work to pull that one off; I think. I don't like the way they look, either, though. I've also got the same aftermarket turn signal switch on the driveline. so..the verdict is..not factory. thanks! | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 314 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2005 Posts: 314 | You could always JB weld a quarter in the hole from underneath... a little Bondo or more JB weld over top and you'll soon forget the hole was there. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 62 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 62 | First AD I had, back in '70, had the signals on the fenders and my current '53 1 ton has them. One thing that I have noticed about daily driving an AD, especially a big panel truck is that people sometimes are so focused on "that old truck" they don't seem to really see what the truck is doing, even when there isn't a cellphone in the picture. I have come to believe that it is hard to have bright enough and visible enough signal lights. I know that the fender mounted lights look goofy to some, but oncoming drivers really seem to see them when they're flashing. They are also really visible to any cars on the sides when you are turning or changing lanes. To each his/her own. Don | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 23 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 23 | Good point, blacksmithdon. I'm really on the fence at this point. I think I'll need to work more on the interior until I figure it out. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 | Yep. Turn signals were aftermarket add-ons back then. '54 was the first year for optional factory-installed lights (with the switch to the new large front marker lights). | | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 2,988 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 2,988 | On my '47, it had the old style turn signals which are just arrows, and not round lenses. I hooked those back up, just because I thought they looked cool. PLUS, I put double element bulbs in the parking lights, and tied those in as well. The switch I got has 4-ways built into it, so when I run it in a parade, I can light up the whole front of the truck!! | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 23 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 23 | I went ahead and pulled off the aftermarket signal lights(along with the aftermarket mirrors) and really liked the improved look of the truck. I think I'm going to sacrifice some safety for the improved look of the fenders w/out the lights. haha. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 | Washington, were they the type with a full round glass or plastic lens on each side, or the type with flat metal faces with arrow lens inserts? | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 310 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 310 | The lights with the arrow lens inserts in fact are not aftermarket add-ons, but the Dealer installed GM turn signals. Factory turn signals weren't available until '54, but dealer installed ones were. Check out the Accessory Installation Manual for more info.
-Tim '51 Chevy 3104 w/'56 235, 848 Head, HEI Dizzy, Corvette Cam, Split Manifold and Dual Carter YF's
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 | Actually, the arrow insert type lights were available from a wide variety of manufacturers, including Guide (owned by GM). They could have been installed by a dealer, an aftermarket shop, or someone at home. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 926 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 926 | I'd probably wire the parklights for dual fillament bulbs so as to still have turn signals,and use those new halogen bulbs,or maybe even convert to LED's. (LED bulbs don't make near as much heat,and draw less current than incandescent bulbs,so they may require a special flasher unit for the turn signals to work.) Either way,get as much light as you can on the front and back of your truck;you can't be TOO visible. Speed | | | | | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 355 Member | | Member Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 355 | Inky's right about patching the holes. Couldn't be easier. That's exactly what I did 10 years ago and my "quarter panel" patch (boo! bad pun)is still serving faithfully. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | I think the fender lights with the arrows look really good on the really big bolts.
I get tge impression that the add on blinkers for the 54 are self canceling? How does that work? | | | | | Joined: Aug 2003 Posts: 31 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Aug 2003 Posts: 31 | I took the tuna can turnsignals off of the front of my truck. The darn things were not mounted straight on the fenders anyway. One was forward of the other as you looked across the hood. Looks much cleaner now. The front parking lights are wired up so they come on with the headlights and also are used as turn signals. It took an amber 1157 (double filament) and a new socket to handle this setup. On the rear I added the LED's to the bedroll. The LED's are hooked up directly to the stop and turnsignals. They work great with no change to the flasher unit. My wife followed me home when I put them in and said they really added to the visibility of my truck at night. It's kinda like a third brake light - up nice and high with turnsignals. I know they sell kits to do this LED add-on ($70?) but I got it done for the cost of the bulbs, the sockets, a little wire, and some solder. To place them in the center of the bedroll I used pipe insulation that fits around pipes and is made of grey polyethylene(?). Rick
I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
| | |
| |