Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,079 Posts1,056,296 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 322 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 322 | Ok, can't take the heat anymore...I have stock recirculating heater in my 50 3100 and am looking for a shut-off valve to keep water from radiator going to heater core. Is there an aftermarket item that I can get at any FLAPS that will do te job? I'm assuming that is what a Ranco (?) valve does, or is there an item that some of the specialty houses (chevy duty, carter) carry that I'm missin?
Sweatin in Southern IL, Chuck
Blue 50
1950 3100 w/57 235 Patrick’s Saginaw 4 speed and 3:55 rear end | | | | | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 324 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 324 | blue 50 You can go to any hardware store and get a ball cock valve and screw it into the water pump outlet and just shut it off under the hood during the summer. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | Also you can get an inline heater valve at a parts store & hook a cable to it. Be shure to put any valve on the inlet side.  They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 399 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 399 | Bless ya'll, been wondering why I had heat in the summer..I think I'll just get one that goes in the heater hose with a cable operation..Thanks, Steve | | | | | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 2,195 Insomniac | | Insomniac Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 2,195 | Got one of those a few months ago... Have a look: Heater
Gord 🇨🇦 ---- 1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed | | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 85 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 85 | Auto Zone, 5 or 6 bucks. Works great | | | | | Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 | I wish that was the reason why my cab stays so hot,, no heater in mine but those fentons will put out a lot of extra heat............Fred Redryder pixMy HotrodA veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 2,195 Insomniac | | Insomniac Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 2,195 | Fred, the reason you cab is so hot is that you live in Texas, where it's freaking boiling!!
Gord 🇨🇦 ---- 1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed | | | | | Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 | that is true too........Fred Redryder pixMy HotrodA veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option. | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 709 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2001 Posts: 709 | Not as convenient but last summer before the drive to the left coast I simply looped the hose from the water pump to the manifold nipple bypassing the heater altogether. Looped the other hose between the two heater nipples to keep anything out.
Bruce Old Toy: Ol' Betsy stock 59 Apache SB Stepside (Gone but not Forgotten) New Toy: 1962 Impala SS Coupe The Driver: 1990 Toyota truck
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | I've used needle-nosed Vise Grips in a pinch, Scott | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 1,158 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 1,158 | Originally posted by 48bigtrucks: I've used needle-nosed Vise Grips in a pinch [groans] | | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 221 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 221 | I would go with the ball valve from the hardware store these are 1/4 turn valves and most are solid brass and are pretty nice looking when you pop the hood. | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 709 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2001 Posts: 709 | I've been wanting to do the ball valve application for years now. It's still on the to do list. Would only one valve be required? I had been thinking of installing one in each hose line.
Bruce Old Toy: Ol' Betsy stock 59 Apache SB Stepside (Gone but not Forgotten) New Toy: 1962 Impala SS Coupe The Driver: 1990 Toyota truck
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 322 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 322 | Thanks guys, I am leaning towards the brass ball valve because of looks. any guess what size is needed?
Gord, nice pictures, got any more?! guess you might be using your heater more than me livin in the great white north
Chuck
Blue 50
1950 3100 w/57 235 Patrick’s Saginaw 4 speed and 3:55 rear end | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 336 Member | | Member Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 336 | I could take a picture of the installed valve if you want but it wont be too exciting; just an inline valve with the push-pull cable attached...
I wonder about the ball valve idea you guys are discussing. You would have to get out of the truck (probably in pouring rain) and open the hood when you want heat? Then it would get too hot and out you goo again. I know you could open the window to regulate the heat, but then you would have the rain blowing in...
Gord 1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
| | | | | Joined: May 2000 Posts: 424 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2000 Posts: 424 | You would only open the ball valve in the fall and close it in the spring. You wouldn't have to open and close it daily. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 2,195 Insomniac | | Insomniac Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 2,195 | Barry: That sounds like planning ahead! 
Gord 🇨🇦 ---- 1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed | | | | | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 322 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 322 | wanted to give you guys an update... picked up an inline valve from Napa, it's a Balkamp #660-1413 for $23. It's a screw-down type and not cable operated. Last night drove 20 miles roundtrip to a local cruise night in Herrin, IL and cab was much cooler, well as cool as it can get with all the holes/openings I still have to cover at 90+ degrees. Next project will be sound deading/heat blocking...
Blue 50
1950 3100 w/57 235 Patrick’s Saginaw 4 speed and 3:55 rear end | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 571 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 571 | I just got one from Carquest. Much cooler cab now. What a difference on long rides.  | | | | | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 324 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 324 | Bruce K you only need one ball valve in your heater hoses. It needs to be in the outlet side of the water pump. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 571 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 571 | Why does it need to be on the outlet side? Just curious. Always want to learn sumpin new.  | | | | | Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 | The factory used a non-cable operated valve for recirculating heaters. Pop the hood and turn the handle if you want heat. One of the MANY reasons I like fresh-air heaters better, especially the '54 version that can do fresh air or recirculating. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | The hose going to the water pump is the return hose from the heater. The inlet to the heater comes from below the therm. or on the intake on a V8. You want the valve on the inlet to the heater so you won,t have excessive pressure on the heater core.  They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 399 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 399 | Hey Wrench, I'm glad you got in on this, because I was going to buy one, and thought it went into the hose from the water pump..Thanks much, Steve | | | | | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 322 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 322 | Well..I always like to do things twice just for practice!! Look's like I will be switchin' hoses. Wrench, you mentioned a v8, would the inlet on my 235 still come from the thermostat to heater and then return from heater to water pump??
Blue 50
1950 3100 w/57 235 Patrick’s Saginaw 4 speed and 3:55 rear end | | |
| |