The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (rfs56trk, WingWright, Jon G, Rusted Nut, Woodcmiami), 117 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,260
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#158883 02/09/2007 11:43 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 103
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 103
I am thinking about buying a husky 7 hp 60 gal. 230 volt air compressor from home depot cfm is 11.8 @ 40 psi & 10.3 @ 90 psi. cost $399, anybody have one? what do you guys think? just going to use air tools with it. thanks James


If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That would be a good one. Should cover most needs. For the price it is hard to beat.

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 26
L
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
L Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 26
You can buy a single stage sixty-gallon Ingersol-Rand for the same money-and no sales tax f you find an out of state supplier that ships for free.

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
I have basically that same configuration in my shop. Plenty of volume unless you hook up too small a hose. I found that I could plumb in a manifold of 1" PVC and have plenty of volume even to run the less expensive air tools.

A couple 1/2" X 25" hoses work better for me than a 3/8" X 50'.

That's a good price!


Webshot "Tips and tricks" and "Shoebox" Photo Albums

EXPERIENCE is the best teacher...but it gives the test first...and the lesson afterwards.

"What this generation tolerates...the next will embrace"
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
PVC is not a recommended pipe for air systems. The air pressures can cause the pipes to break into many small shrapnel pieces.

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 38
I
Apprentice
Apprentice
I Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 38
I have to agree with MNSmith PVC is down right dangerous! Should use steel piping rated for pressure!

Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 467
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 467
bigger is better if ya want to sandblast

#158890 02/13/2007 10:32 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 103
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 103
what would be the minimum cfm &/or size if I want to sand blast?


If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.
#158891 02/14/2007 12:42 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
James B,

Any kind of sandblasting uses horrendous amounts of air. The smallest siphon blaster Northern Tool lists uses 7CFM @80 psi. That almost maxes out your new air compressor...pretty scary.

Your compressor choice was great. To do the occasional blast job, the drill would be to blast a little, and wait a little! This will work, but you have to keep an eye on your compressor because if you grossly exceed its duty cycle, it will cease to exist.

Northern Tool shows a neat pressure pot that holds 90 pounds of sand. Using a 1/8" nozzle (dinky) this thing still eats up 15 CFM @ 80 psi. Are you starting to see the picture on sand blasting.

Stuart

#158892 02/14/2007 12:51 AM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 103
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 103
I understand if you sand blast you will eat up a lot of air, maybe I don't understand the cfm @ psi thing, can you explain it. thanks James


If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
James B,

Sandblasting demands a high volume of air. The "hole" in the end of the hose is huge. To do an effective job, you need lots of sand moving at a great speed.

A air compressor needs a large displacement to move a large volume of air..cubic feet of air!

Because there is no free lunch, the large displacement compressor needs a large source of power, whether it be a electric motor or diesel engine.

Take a straw and put a pea in it. Blow the pea across the room. How much lung power did it take?

Take that same pea and lay it in a empty toilet paper roll. Blow it across the room. Big difference. You need more CFM!

If you plugged the ends of the above examples and blew into them while recording the pressure, they would be identical..PSI, no big deal, CFM, big deal.

Stuart

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 103
J
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
J Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 103
o.k. I got it thanks for the info. I was also thinking of getting the huskey 80 gsl 12.6 cfm @90 psi 2 stage 7 hp for $699


If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
jamesb, tptool has a good read on their website about air compressors etc. Of coarse they want to sell you one but its good reading. A good rule of thumb is to have TWICE the capacity that you need. Believe me you will need it. If not now later! Also you need about one third more CFM than you plan on using. This way you can really WORK on something. I used a small 20gal 2Hp for long time and saved my money. Now I have a 80gal 175psi 19.7cfm. I run the sandblaster, bead cabinet and lots of air tools and it really does the job. Of coarse at 800 bucks its a bit pricey but man, its been a blessing these days. I guess the bottom line is what you can afford and what your long range hobby plans are. Surely when you get this one done you will start another. ohwell


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
Buyer beware...there is a lot of fraud in the market of air compressors. There are companies claiming more CFM than what their unit actually has. The way to check for this, get their PUMP-UP time in writing and this will cover you if they have a fault CFM. Things to watch out for: fast pump RPM--low RPM is better, compressor companies are giving you "starting" HP instead of "running" HP, which means NOTHING when purchasing a compressor. To be a TRUE 5 hp motor, it must pull at least 23 running amps or it is not a 5 hp motor. Compressor pumps that are claiming cast iron and they are really not. When shopping take a magnet with you. If it doesn't stick, it is not cast iron. Watch out for reed valves. They are a cheap valve system.

I swear by these compressors. Check out this site:

http://www.eatoncompressor.com/catalog/item/504747/206953.htm

Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 467
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 467
I got a 18.5 cfm at 100 psi 3 cylinder with one of those bogus small frame "5hp" motors. Fine for some work but won't keep up with blasting.

Builder that is a nice one on that site and a good deal.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
Check out Tractor Supply,they carry the IR compressors at a decent price.I bought one back during the holidays when they had a 10%off sale.Its an 80 gal.5 horse,2 cyl.2 stage compressor,which should handle most of your needs including sandblasting.Regular price was $995.,with 10% off I got it for about $895.I dont know how often they run the sales on them,but it is worth lookin into.

Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 499
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 499
11.8 @ 40 psi is barely enough for a spray gun. It would have to work so hard, you'd be shooting as much water as paint. If you've ever priced electric motors the $399 would have tipped you off. You can't touch a real 7 horse single phase motor, just by itself, for twice that price.


'67 GMC 3/4 292 4spd
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
SWITCH to a lphv gun, (lo pressure/hi volume) 11.8 @40 will work great.

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
Come on now, the EPA wants us to get away from that.

Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 499
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 499
It's usually written HVLP. The High Volume part of that means just that, High Volume.
Here is a Sparpes web page that shows the requirements for their guns.
The gravity feeds need 13.5 CFM @40 and 13.9 @ 50 psi
Sharpes


'67 GMC 3/4 292 4spd
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 119
F
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
F Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 119
Check into LVLP guns for less air consumption. I have heard good things about them.

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Richard:
[QB] It's usually written HVLP.
Sorry Richard, I have the gun, just too lazy to go out to my shop to see which way it was written. wrong guess. grin

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,971
The air compressor you are talking about is way too small for any type of blasting.

Look at the site I listed below and read some of the descriptions of the air compressors. There is a lot of information to keep an eye out for.

Mat, the CEO, will also be happy to discuss air compressors personally with you if you call.
http://www.eatoncompressor.com/page/page/504413.htm

I bought an Eaton, and wouldn't hesitate to buy one again.

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 240
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 240
If you have air tool's then the compressor is the heart. As was mentioned above pump RPM is something to look at, a lot of manufacturers make up CFM by spinning the guts out of the pump and that will cut down on longivity. Look for a true cast iron compressor, two stage with at least a true 5hp motor with a rpm of 1750, pump speed is 546 rpm. Mine is 80 gal, 5hp, 1740rpm (Leeson motor), 18.4cfm @ 175psi,( it is a horse). In 1996 it cost $1050.00, got another one for my other shop in 2005 $1150.00, same rig, the owner of North Central Air out of Downs Ks. said that it was his best selling unit for small shops and farm use. To be truthful with you all I went to the bank and borrowed $1500. in 96 and got the compressor and a 100lb pressure sand blaster, for around $80 bucks a month for a couple of years. Was the best investment I ever made in shop equipt.My advice is buy the best compressor to do the job even if you have to finance it for a while, it will outlive the inexpensive one time and time over.


You Learn more Listening than Talking
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 30
J
JJ Offline
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 30
I am about to buy a 7.5 HP compressor. Have been looking at Ingersoll-Rand and Eaton. As my use won't be extreme I am also thinking about the machine Harbor freight sells. I know it is not as high quality but is several hundred dollars less. Anyone have one of HF's machines this size?

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 549
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 549

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
We have a place called tractor supply (TSC) that have verry good prices on compressors

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 30
J
JJ Offline
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 30
Bought the I-R 7.5 HP compressor. I am familiar with Tractor Supply and checked their price online but they do not have a store near where I now live. Bought it from local I-R dealer for a little more money. Hooked it up Wednesday. It's no quieter than my 5 HP but not bad and pumps a lot of air. Wil give it a real test on my sand blaster rig this weekend.

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 240
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 240
If noise is a factor or just a irritation you can get a muffler for it, I have one for mine (got it from the dealer I mentioned above) for about $80.00 and I can talk on the phone next to my compressor.


You Learn more Listening than Talking
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 38
I
Apprentice
Apprentice
I Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 38
I have a Curtiss 7.5 HP with baldor motor rated at 23CFM at 175 PSI never runs out of air. We run a farm shop and use a lot of BIG airtools. We use a 1" Chicago Pnuematic air gun on semi tires and use DA's quite a bit never have to wait for it or run out of air. Bought it through our local electric motor repair shop. They also handle IR but recommend the Curtiss for more continuous duty and it was cheaper than the IR of the same size. Check it out!

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
I have an Ingersol Rand 80 gal, 5 HP, twin cylinder that puts out 18.1 cfm @ 90 psi & 21 cfm @ 40 psi continuous output. Max psi is 135. I hard piped it around the garage using 1/2" black iron pipe. I got it at Tractor Supply and LOVE it!! It's some of the best money I've spent.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 30
J
JJ Offline
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 30
Got my I-R 7.5 HP piped up and running. Used it with my blast cabinet and pressure pot over the last couple of days. Even builds up and shuts off while blasting. Not sure what size nozzles I have in either blaster as it has been a long time since I bought them but it removes a lot of paint/rust pretty quick. This may be over-kill for what I need but it sure is nice.

#158915 04/28/2007 12:22 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
JJ,I looked at the 7.5 IR,and it is truly a nice compressor.However I didnt want to spend that much money on one.I settled on the 2 stage 5 HP model,which I think will servre my needs.I am sure that 7.5 will treat you just fine.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 641
3
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
3 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 641
heavy duty pvc. is rated at 480 psi ive seen it used at boat yardes i have a pipe running from my house 200 feet to my shop its underground works fine for me running 150 lbs. only trouble they had at the boat yard was the fence getting bumped then the pipe would get broke but was easy to fix another thing i did was hook up a 2nd 80 gallon tank to my compressorfor more air storage


Moderated by  MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0