The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Shaffer's1950, J Lucas, wilbur53, baldeagle), 107 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,079
Posts1,056,297
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 37
4
Apprentice
Apprentice
4 Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 37
When building my 49S10 with 350V8 I added a serpentine belt drive from an 89 Caprice. Recently, after changing out the AC compressor I have developed a belt squeaking noise. I did notice it occassionally before changing the compressor but it is all the time now. I can treat it with belt dressing and it will go away....for awhile and then starts up again. I have checked the alt., ps, water pump, and ac compressor and all are rotating freely. I even changed the belt tensioner pulley but to no avail.
The tensioner seems to have plenty of resistance on it. I also noticed some fine rubber shavings but cannot find anywhere that seems to have interference with the belt. Any ideas on what might be causing this? Thanks.

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,068
I would say it's the aftermarket belt. When the cheaper belts run their backs against a smooth pulley, they get buffed and glazed. When they "walk" across the pulley after they get glazed, they make that noise. I try to use factory belts or the pricier aftermarket belts without much printing on the smooth side. Belt dressing is just a temporary diagnostic tool, it won't cure belt noise.
Just my 2 cents worth,
Scott


Scott Ward

2 1948 1.5-ton Loadmasters
The red one and The snow pusher
1 1950 3100
1 1955.1 Chevy 6500
1 1954 Chevy 6500 2-Ton
1 1955 1st Series COE 5700
1 1963 K20 (454)
1 1964 C10 (350)
1 1951 1.5-ton Dump Truck
1953 and a 1956 Ford F800

Raising a teenager is like trying to nail Jello to a tree!
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 37
4
Apprentice
Apprentice
4 Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 37
Thanks 48bigtrucks-

I have replaced the original belt with a Gates belt but maybe I need a better one. The only smooth pulleys on this set up are the tensioner pully (new) and the water pump pulley. Would it make sense to lightly scuff the surface of the water pump pulley to see if it will "grab" better? Just fishing for ideas here.

Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 677
1
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
1 Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 677
I had the same thing happen on mine (86 C20 w454), I was getting the fine rubber shavings also and the squeaking noise was driving me crazy I changed the tensioner pulley and it still squeaked, What I finally did was change the belt to a 1" smaller belt and it went away completely ! no more squeaking or rubber shavings ?? I don't know why BUT its been over 7 months and I drive it everyday and still no problems.

I also installed a serpentine set up on my 51 and ran the smaller belt... so far no problems

Its worth a try

Good luck bro.
Todd


Some people are like Slinkies, Their not really good for nothing... But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

1951 3100 350 TBI Gallery Toddzilla... "$old"


Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 863
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 863
you can scuff sand the back of the belt while its running (mind the fingers + tie eek ) that will usually fix the problem. ohwell
Also check belt and pulley alignment-will make noise
if as little as 1/4" out of alignment.


My GMC has a bad case of ship fitters disease!
GMC: Get More Cash...
1958 GMC
1956 Chevy 1500 Hydraulic Dump Truck
1952 Chevy 1700 3-Ton Firetruck

My Webshots photos

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0