Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,094 Posts1,056,157 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | Nice! What size is it, 392?
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 128 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 128 | Thanks, it's a 331. I think the 331, 354 and 392 all used the same block. I was looking for more of a shock factor than a powerhouse engine. I originally planned to put it in a little '62 Studebaker convertible, but bought the truck and abandoned any hope of starting on that car.
Lee | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | It ought to be a runner, but............ I think you put it in the wrong end of the truck.  | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 128 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 128 | What do you expect from a Ford guy?
Lee | | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,464 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 1,464 | Well, I heard on the news this week that GM is in talks to buy Daimler-Chrysler. If that goes through all the Chevy trucks will probably have hemi's. You just got a jump on the rest of the world!! | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 547 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 547 | He's a heretic! Burn him!
I'm just kidding, that is a sweet looking motor though. I always wanted to drop in a Big block if my 235 ever wore out. That should be many years though!
58' 3200 235 3-speed/OD
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 2,557 | 1951 3100 Chevrolet1951 Chevrolet Suburban CarryallImage"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams." "Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything" "If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 2,409 Former Workshop Owner | | Former Workshop Owner Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 2,409 | I will also probably switch over to a Mopar, that is, once all the good engines are used up. Just kidding, looks like your going to have a real sleeper. Pretty impressive looking, that should make your truck fly. John
~ J Lucas 2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6 2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s) 2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0 1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton 1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWBIn the Gallery My Flicker Photos! | | | | | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 262 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 262 | A friend of mine stuck a Chrysler 318 in the '53 Chevy he built for his wife. When I asked why, he said "'Cause I had one!". Nuff said.
My truck: She may not be the prettiest girl at the dance, but she's all mine!
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 144 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 144 | Tried to find one of those but all I could settle for was a 400 cu in in my 46 1/2 ton. I heard GM was trying to get the patent on those since the 50s. Even though there not GM they sure are nice looking. Bob T. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,276 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,276 | I like it! I like it! I like it! Different and defiantly old school. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 866 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 866 | Doesn't upset me, it looks great. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 1,317 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2005 Posts: 1,317 | Definitly will have the "WoW' factor. Hope you have power steering on the vehicle. At 745 lbs for the block alone, it will quality as a real heavy-weight. The Olds 394 is about the only gas engine that is heavier....by 15 pounds!!!! Some 50 pounds heavier than a Chevy BB. Should help keep the front end from popping up! | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 128 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 128 | Yeah, going to have to go with a heavy duty front end... planning on power steering and disc brakes up front. I've tried to eliminate weight where I could... intake manifold, exhaust manifolds, timing gear cover, water pump. Didn't go with aluminum heads... I priced them and when I woke up on the floor I decided against getting those. It's just a warmed up 331, I don't think I'll have to worry about the front end coming off the ground.
I just hope it fits without too much cutting. With the notch in the firewall I don't think it'll be too big of a problem front to back.
Lee | | | | | Joined: Jun 2003 Posts: 565 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2003 Posts: 565 | Hey, does that thing gotta Hemi in it?
"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just leave me alone, you're starting to freak me out."
1957 GMC 150
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 613 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 613 | are you going to notch the oilpan on each side for headpipe clearence? | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 128 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 128 | Zenish... not sure, I haven't see the engine. Do you think it's necessary, these block hugger headers were made for this engine, nothing said about modifying the oil pan.
Lee | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 613 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 613 | it could be an optical illusion,but it looks like your headers are pointing into the oil pan.i probably wrong. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 184 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2006 Posts: 184 | In my mind, it doesn't matter what goes in your truck as long as you are happy with it. Those old Chrysler engines are pretty sweet. I've only had experience with GM's myself, but a friend is restoring a 440 'cuda convertible that is a pretty sweet machine. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 60 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 60 | Sonny's are now doing hemi heads for the big block Chev if you have he dollars and really want to confuse people.
David '56 3100 Pickup,Blown BBC,5 Speed,IFS,4 link, '07 Maloo
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 128 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 128 | We got the engine back today and did a test fit to see how big of a problem I've set myself up for. It looks like anyone who can do custom exhaust shouldn't have a problem using the block hugger headers... it is a little tighter than I would like but the can be done without having to mess with the oil pan. The engine is fine width-wise, we just need to modify the transmission tunnel to get it to sit where I want it to. It hits at the seam where the transition is welded together. The pictures show it a little forward and a little high of how it should sit. New website: http://laanderud.com/65chevy Lee | | | | | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 1,703 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 1,703 | Motor looks great ! Just hope he isnt doin that "BEST FREINDS DANCE" with his Buddy .... :p HEHEHEHEE J/K . | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 128 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 128 | | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 128 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 128 | | | | | | Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 22 Member | | Member Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 22 | that looks cool, you want to really trip people out try to get a set of chevy valve covers made. And by the way what is the "best friends dance" anyway looks good.
if its not broke....you didn't drive it hard enough!
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 22 Member | | Member Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 22 | I forgot to say great web page's Im trying to get the time to set mine up, Im always working on my truck. Its cool though
if its not broke....you didn't drive it hard enough!
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 866 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 866 | | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,276 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,276 | Wow that manifold looks like you need a carb the size of a toilet. That's really cool looking nice fit. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 1 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 1 | nice motor, i like the shock factor, i have an OLDS 455 in my 64. i just bought it for 1200 buks.  good luck | | | | | Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 190 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 190 | Awesome engine, had a 31 plymouth in high school. Always loved the Hemi's. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 388 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 388 | This months CLASSIC TRUCKS mag. has a Hemi stuffed under the hood of a '50's chevy truck. Looks GREAT! Is that CHEVY ORANGE on the block or a MOPAR color? Looks good no matter what!:^) | | | | | Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 24 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 24 | Interesting!
Although, I used to work on an older Chevy truck w/ a Maserati 3500 inline 6cyl. complete w/ a 6 pack of Dell'Orto carbs. Not real fast, but it sure was unique.
Lee | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 128 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 128 | bowiesr4me - The engine will be repainted, it's pretty thin. I think the engine builder just put enough paint on the engine to keep rust from forming. I think it's "supposed" to be hemi orange. The engine will be hemi orange by the time it goes in permanently.
Lee | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 128 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 128 | Here's an update on my truck project. We got the power steering box installed, the pulleys and brackets mounted and engine mounts installed. We had to cut and bend down the original motor mount pads on the crossmember so that we could get more room for the header down pipes. It looks close to me but I've been assured it's plenty of room for the guy who will be doing the exhaust. http://laanderud.com/65chevy/042207/ Lee | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 73 Member | | Member Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 73 | Everyone was always saying that the truck need mo' power, so I just happen to have some on the engine stand.  440 mo'par. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,276 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 1,276 | I was just about to ask what that was you where puttin in there jimmyjeep. Thought maybe Pontiac 455 but 440 Mopar huh that auta motivate. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 1,703 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 1,703 | BEST FREINDS..?? comon ya all aint seen the 2 rednecks dancin around dreamin of havin a new Dodge truck with a Hemi commercial ??? | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 128 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 128 | Seen the commercials, haven't seen them dancing.
My mind was more in the gutter when I first read it.
Lee | | |
| |