The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Joe W, Gdads51, Otto Skorzeny, Gray_Ghost, 1 invisible), 200 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,178
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1220280 06/06/2017 5:57 PM
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 41
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 41
Not exactly high performance, but does anyone make an aftermarket hood hinge for a 53 3100? Looking for something more sturdy and nicer looking than the stock ones.

Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 591
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 591

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
Very expensive, BUT, may be worth it.
After spending DAYS trying to assemble and align a 2 ton front clip with new off the shelf hood hinges, I rebuilt the old worn out hinges by machining new pivot point rivets. Everything lined up perfectly.
Threw the new ones in the scrap.
I must have spent the equivalent $$ in time and labor.

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
I have used many a set of used hinges without issue with hood fitment on ADs. They weren't horribly ragged, but they did have some wear in the rivets. Poor hood fitment of ADs is almost always due to things other than the hinges.
The instructions in the Truck Shop Manual actually refers to how the spring support assembly adjustment procedure actually accounts for the slack in the hinge rivets.
Now if you want to discuss the hinges in '55.2 through '59, and '67 through '72 hood hinges, I cannot help you. I don't think those hoods are supposed to close right. frown
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
I don't always agree with Carl, well, very few times, but I'll agree with him on the hinge subject. AMEN Mr. Carl.


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
My point was that the new repro hinges were garbage.
The truck was an old farm field truck with broken cab mounts and lots of loose parts. Some of the pins on the hinges were worn almost 1/2 way through.
After rounding out the oval holes and making select fit rivets, the old hinges were better than the new ones because they had been made correctly in the first place.

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
Originally Posted by Jim Sears
My point was that the new repro hinges were garbage.
The truck was an old farm field truck with broken cab mounts and lots of loose parts. Some of the pins on the hinges were worn almost 1/2 way through.
After rounding out the oval holes and making select fit rivets, the old hinges were better than the new ones because they had been made correctly in the first place.
Good save Jim! For some oddball reason, I actually enjoy taking on similar seemingly-ridiculous-to-others saves. It gives me a sense of accomplishment.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
Originally Posted by Achipmunk
I don't always agree with Carl, well, very few times, but I'll agree with him on the hinge subject. AMEN Mr. Carl.
Well, if you agreed with me all of the time, then that would make one of us unnecessary. smile


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0