Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
186
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,143 Posts1,056,494 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2002 Posts: 272 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2002 Posts: 272 | Did you pay by the hour or part ? How much was it? ??? Thanks, | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 3,068 | I paid by the part, $100.00 for the whole frame. It's a 63 K20, I think it was a good price, Scott | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 257 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 257 | Those are good prices. I just had the sides of the top off a '78 Land Cruiser done and paid by the hour. $50/hour. I was quoted about $200 for blasting and primering. I got back to a $350 bill because "some of the paint was harder to get off than expected". Last time I'll use that blaster. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 975 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 975 | In2,
I just dropped off 20-30 pieces, including the frame. To have the blasted, primed and powdercoated was $850-950. I don't know how much it was just to have them blasted, but I figured by the time I learned to paint, it was cheaper and would turn out better to have everything PC'd. Front axle and all related steering components will go in this week along with a couple of other major parts I forgot to send along with the first drop.
If you find the right PC shop..like the guy I found that is doing a mid-60's Dorf, you might find a better all in one package. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 946 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 946 | RedGreen, Who was it that you used? Were they in Coco Beach? I contacted a company up there and the guy didn't give me a good vibe. He didn't really seem to want to answer my questions in detail. I called a monument company in Ft. Pierce because they use sandblasting for head stones. Turned out that he does auto stuff all the time. I am going down there to talk to him about prices. There is Master Blaster in Orlando too. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 257 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 257 | I used Ind-Mar Machine Works in Jacksonville. They were recommended through someone who had worked with them in the past. The work was good and done quickly. I just wasn't happy with the cost versus the estimate on such few pieces. I can't afford to drop off half my sheet metal on my truck and get a quote for $500 just to return a few days later and owe them $1000 instead. I'll try to find someone different in this area. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 946 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 946 | RedGreen, This is who I talked to: Excell Coatings They can blast, prime or powder coat. The guy said they do auto's all the time. But again, he didn't seem to want to go into detail. Maybe he was busy. One reason I was going to use them is that they will pick-up/drop-off your items. If you do use them can you let me know how it turned out? | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 576 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 576 | i lucked out had a buddy in the business blasted the whole truck except for the bed , welded in the pacer front end and shot every thing in dp40with the exception of the cab(which needed a little work) charged me five bucks then handed me six raffle tickets for a new tv... gotta love friends 1949 Chevrolet 3100 "When this thing hits 88 miles an hour, you're going to see some serious sh%t." -Doc Brown
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 47 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 47 | I one day want to get my frame powdercoated...
1966 Chevrolet C-10 1971 Chevrolet Camaro RS 1989 Pontiac Bonneville MY GARAGE...www.dragcitygarage.com
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2002 Posts: 272 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2002 Posts: 272 | I called a soda blaster nearby he wanted 140 for a fender adn 1800 for the whole truck. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 888 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 888 | Local street rodder blasted my cab in 3.5 hours at $38 per hour in upstate NY
Dan | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 946 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 946 | At a $140 per fender, I would just save my pennys and buy a new one. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 | If you have a local active Craigslist (craigslist.org) you could search or advertise in there, it is free. You will find that labor rates and willingness to do it depend greatly on locale. I would expect it to be much more expensive in California than in Iowa.
Paint & Body Shop moderator A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall | | Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 14,522 | Just had a 37 pickup chassis with the front end and rearend still underit.....price for sandblasting was $150. And it was a good job. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 205 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 205 | My 48 3100 Kim anderson in Adams Minnesota $750. includes complete body in and out and frame. Thought that was a good deal.
Tom
48 Chevy 3100 Shortbox 5 window "The Big Dog"
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 17 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Jan 2006 Posts: 17 | I had a local sandblaster in Salt Lake blast the frame of my 57 T-bird for $100. Excelent work. The next lowest bid was $250 - $300.
I just got lucky.
John M. (Marc) Knight VTCI #33786 Thunderbirds, 64s, 57, 2002 40 Chev Truck (Rat) project for my 16 year old daughter Bountiful, UT
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 43 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 43 | I had my frame blasted in Ft Worth by Kurosky painting. Charged by the hour quote was 200-250, when I picked it three days later I was told "it wasn't to bad" so they charged $175. Beat that! Needless to say I took the cab and all the sheetmetal including bed and I was charged $250. Great job by great people.
rebuild not replace
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 887 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 887 | I priced sandblasting at some rod shops and sandblasting places but got by far the best price from a monument company. Yup, thats right, the guys that make headstones. They usually have a sandblasting booth for what they do that'll fit more than a cab.
They charged $70/hour and did my cab, front clip, all the small parts in the cab and front clip (hinges, mounts, braces, battery lid, rims, etc...) plus the tail gate for 3 hours, close to $200 and a 12 pack to the employee who did it in appreciation. The guy that works there had done lots of cars and frames, used a media that was easy on the metal, and was good to it- no warping or damage! They also do bathtubs, cast iron stoves, wrought iron fences, etc...
The size of the compressor and blaster being used makes a huge difference on how much time it takes.
'51 Chevy 1/2 ton w/'62 261, HEI, offy, fentons, dual carter/webbers, t-5 & 12 bolt posi
| | |
| |